is this normal? halfway poop.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
CAM04442.jpg

My smaller gar has what appears to be a piece of poop hanging out of its anus. Normal enough, but its been there for three days. Show no signs of bloating, and behavior is perfectly normal. It only eats talapia (unlike its counterpart, who accepts pellets). I'm not worried yet, but it this a sign of blockage?

CAM04442.jpg

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
You sure it's the same poop? after 3 days I figured just from water currents and movement it would fall off? I wouldn't be worried if it's still eating

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I guess that it's prolapsed anus. Epsom salt can help reduce the swelling. I wish it ate pellets, then you could soak them and feed. I'd add Epsom to the water

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Anus is still prolapsed. Guess it was a little daft to consider that to be poop. Can I treat my whole 180g tank? Does anyone know if Epsom is plant/clown loach safe? Regular aquarium salt is not in either scenario.

I have only offered pellets since making this post, but this fish is absurdly stingy. I even tricked it by getting it excited near the surface with my usually summoning hand movements, then making it wait before dropping the pellet. It bit it, gave me a resentful look, and resumed begging. I'm about to feed talapia because I'm starting to feel bad.

Anus is slightly more prolapsed today. The red is the anus, lep.

Can talapia be soaked in epsom with the same effect? Only ever treated a quarantined poly with Epsom, and it was a direct water dose.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Anus is still prolapsed. Guess it was a little daft to consider that to be poop. Can I treat my whole 180g tank? Does anyone know if Epsom is plant/clown loach safe? Regular aquarium salt is not in either scenario.

I have only offered pellets since making this post, but this fish is absurdly stingy. I even tricked it by getting it excited near the surface with my usually summoning hand movements, then making it wait before dropping the pellet. It bit it, gave me a resentful look, and resumed begging. I'm about to feed talapia because I'm starting to feel bad.

Anus is slightly more prolapsed today. The red is the anus, lep.

Can talapia be soaked in epsom with the same effect? Only ever treated a quarantined poly with Epsom, and it was a direct water dose.
I would think tilapia could be soaked. Maybe thaw some chunks or whatever in it for a half hour or so. Or maybe even try and use the tilapia as a sponge and squish it in it so its absorbs it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I'll try it. I'm a little afraid of spooking him away from talapia with a peculiar taste. He is extremely finicky about food.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Thats true too. You could give him a salt bath maybe?

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store