Eliminating the foam sponge in my ac110?

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
The foam insert clogs up fairly quickly and the whole basket, sponge and lid lift up on one side, its a pain in the butt.

Im thinking of taking out the foam sponge and just filling the entire filter box with bio max or ceramic noodles in a bag. Would it be ok to do this? thanks

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
The whole point of the sponge is to remove waste. If it clogs it's doing its job. Cleaning soiled ceramic rings is a pain in the butt from my experience.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
The foam insert clogs up fairly quickly and the whole basket, sponge and lid lift up on one side, its a pain in the butt.

Im thinking of taking out the foam sponge and just filling the entire filter box with bio max or ceramic noodles in a bag. Would it be ok to do this? thanks
Duck tape the lid down

Sent from my SM-G386T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Agreed. My solution for filters clogging with waste is always adding more filters, haha.

My fluval 406 used to clog nearly solid in a 3 month span. since adding a second 406 and 2 HOB filters to my 75g my canisters looked almost as clean as I had left it after 3 months without a cleaning.

The solution to pollution is dilution. Add more filters or clean the AC more often.

You don't need to drop $100 on another AC110. A cheap whisper, aqueon, Marineland HOB in their largest denomination will do the trick for helping polish the water. Usually those cost under $40

If you remove the sponge you'll just have tons of fine particles circulating in the tank.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Botiadancer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2015
California
I always run double sponges on my aquaclears, that way you can clean the heck out of the old/dirty/first that water hits sponge each time you clean them.

And as mentioned in other posts...
Prefilters on the intake can help even more.

Some people cut the sponges in half lengthwise, still double sponge, making 4 pieces. This lets 3 of them get old with biofilm when you clean the old one.

And still other people use different porosities of foam. And cut them in half. And double the amount. Such a great filter that is easy to customize.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store