Red Cap Oranda - I'm in a lost state and need your help!

chowdan

Feeder Fish
Mar 4, 2015
Seattle
Hey guys,

My red cap oranda has recently been pretty sluggish and not very active(coming up to a month now). Its been feeding pretty well, however I have noticed that it behavior is definitely not "normal". Feeding he/she gets very excited and does feed, but every now and then halfway through eating he'll just stop and sit on the substrate, almost as if he fell "asleep".

I've separated him out of his main tank just to be on safe side of things. Water parameters are in check, and temps are constant range of 72F (his main tank sits at 74F and has been for 2-3 years now)

I thought it was just new growth on his wen, and I wasn't too concerned when seeing them, but since its pretty lethargic and generally spends his time chilling on the substrate, its starting to make the gears turn in my brain. The spots have gone from 1 spot on right side of the wen to having 2 spots and now he's got some showing up on the left side.
Heres a few pictures I was able to get. Its definitely not Ich(imo) as its only on his wen, which makes me think it is just new growth, however I do wonder if hes got a fungal infection.

I try to steer clear of antibiotics unless i know its a sure thing that will solve the problem mainly due to the over use of them. But i'm not against using them. That said, I may pick up some meds for him today.

20150302_085223.jpg20150302_085230.jpg

20150302_085223.jpg

20150302_085230.jpg

chowdan

Feeder Fish
Mar 4, 2015
Seattle
Thinking more about this. I do wonder if he's constipated. When i get home tonight, ill be giving him a large dose of pea and will continue throughout the next 48 hours. Hopefully this is his problem

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I need a better picture but I'd say you have a boy on your hands. When boys want some lovin they get breeding stars, mostly on fins but they pop up other places.

As far as sitting on the bottom goes a diet that regularly includes peas and fasting is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chowdan

Feeder Fish
Mar 4, 2015
Seattle
I need a better picture but I'd say you have a boy on your hands. When boys want some lovin they get breeding stars, mostly on fins but they pop up other places.

As far as sitting on the bottom goes a diet that regularly includes peas and fasting is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Thanks for the comment. My blackmoor has showed his tubercles before but nothing like this. To me it seemed like wen growth spots. I definitely think he's constipated, or atleast I hope. I'll try get more photos of the spots.

What makes you think hes a male? Tubercles? Or is it something more towards his shape/size(out of curiosity).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store