I Was Sleeping. Heard An Explosion. My 120G Broke Flooding Everywhere!

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Tonight is so unfortunate. How could this happen? My 120G tank broke at the bottom. I'm so scared to get another big aquarium now!

It seems to be the end to my fish keeping. All my fish are stressed from this disaster and are in a small tank together to survive the night.

Pls advise me I was thinking about giving up on my fish keeping but I'm thinking if I could get a big tub? Is there any alternative to glass tank?

And I was thinking about dream monster glass tanks! My God I will never get over this nightmare!

Picture of the crack attached below.

20150305_044223.jpg

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Sorry to hear that.

That's like my worst nightmare. Just curious...who made the tank? I have a 120 as well and was also thinking of upgrading to a monster tank.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Sorry about that! For me any tank bigger than 40G I would go with acrylic and I buy only from well known manufacture, I just stay away from custom made tank from any LFS that using cheap material and wrong glass thickness. By the way, how your tank broke on the bottom? sound like something wrong with your stand did not support your tank bottom correctly.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Sorry about that! For me any tank bigger than 40G I would go with acrylic and I buy only from well known manufacture, I just stay away from custom made tank from any LFS that using cheap material and wrong glass thickness. By the way, how your tank broke on the bottom? sound like something wrong with your stand did not support your tank bottom correctly.
I don't know how I saw my fish sleeping and went to sleep. Within a few minutes I heard the explosion and sound of water rushing out.

Maybe the stand isn't good or what I don't know. I bought it from a local lfs.

It broke in the front bottom part of the tank is a big C shape.

Is there any alternative to glass tanks like a plastic tub or something? I'll look into the acrylic. At this point I just need to save my fish and plan ahead in the long run.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
If that's foam under the tank then that could be why it cracked on the bottom

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That's polystyrene. What would you advise I put below the tank? I guess it wasn't even as the water weight crushed on top of it.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
That is horrible and I pray that never happens to anyone. I've seen people use those pools that are a couple hundred gallons. It can be done, if you have the room. Just not really pleasant to look at.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Yeah, sorry to hear man :(
You can't be so quick to walk away. Whether your tank wasn't constructed very well, or you drop a rock in the bottom of it while cleaning (my worse nightmare), this comes with the territory. You gotta secure the fish, roll up your sleeves and clean it up. I hope you didn't do much damage to your house. Don't be scared, be aware of the construction of your next tank. You mentioned getting away from glass, they make those resin tanks with viewing windows? There may be breeders around you that could get you one? You'll get over this, no sweat :)

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
You can't be so quick to walk away. Whether your tank wasn't constructed very well, or you drop a rock in the bottom of it while cleaning (my worse nightmare), this comes with the territory. You gotta secure the fish, roll up your sleeves and clean it up. I hope you didn't do much damage to your house. Don't be scared, be aware of the construction of your next tank. You mentioned getting away from glass, they make those resin tanks with viewing windows? There may be breeders around you that could get you one? You'll get over this, no sweat :)
X2. Fall to rise again. You'll recover and build a kick ass set up with your next

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Thank you for keeping it positive. I did upset my family and there are valuable things like computers, books and dslr cameras that got wet. Luckily no damage to them.

That's when I thought it was over for me as I can't risk repeating this.

But then I thought about alternatives to glass tank and felt there's still hope. Especially when I saw my growing fish up close as I rescued them I thought they look awesome. I wouldn't want to lose them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store