Adding a 2nd chamber to a canister filter.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I was wondering since canister filters use a siphon effect to do a lot of the work. Could you add a 2nd chamber in line with the canister ? In my mind the canister wouldn't know the difference but I could be wrong. My idea is adding a 4" pvc chamber with the mechanical filtration and using the canister for purely biological. What are you guys thoughts ?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Timmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
On Mother EARTH
I am sure that there is some scientific calculations to come up with pump size. Added a chamber sounds like a good idea but may not work in the manor you want.....

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I'm going to give it a shot. In my head the pump won't even know the difference. It will be placed before the canister. It should only reduce flow as it clogs just as the canister does anyways.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
its going to have to work harder to pull through whatever you use for mech inside the added chamber. In theory it will work but your maintenance is going to go up and flow is going to be reduced pretty quickly I'd say. All depends on what you use I suppose.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If you place it before the canisters, then it would just end up quickly clogging from all the crud being vacuumed in. Wouldn't it make more sense to place it after the canister, when the filter pads have had a chance to filter out most of the crud?

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
Of course it will make a difference. The pump will need to work harder to move water through the additional media - whether this results in reduced flow or a shorter pump life is my question.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Of course it will make a difference. The pump will need to work harder to move water through the additional media - whether this results in reduced flow or a shorter pump life is my question.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
reduced flow absolutely, pump life depends on whether or not the company put a pump in that was overbuilt to exceed the general expectations of an un-modified canister or not.

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
I think this is one those things that needs to be tested to determine if flow will be reduced. there is no restriction from tank to 2nd chamber. I guess the type of media will have a big effect on the flow. Bio balls should have little effect on the flow, unless leaves or something similar gets in the way.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
The idea is to place a canister with a broken pump before the working canister. The broken canister would be all mechanical. The second canister with the running pump would all be biological.
I don't feel like the pump is going to work much harder if at all until said media starts to clog. The siphon effect should fill both and help feed water to the working canister.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store