Micro-fishers

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Never heard of this term, so I just Googled it. Interesting. The concept of setting out to try to catch the smallest of fish? Hell, I've been achieving this goal most of my life without even trying LOL

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
If I need some bait, I usually use smallest hook and a piece of earthworm to catch some shiners and chubs. Tho I've caught logperch and darters on them before. This winter I've caught lot of scuplins out of Lake Mille Lacs while jigging for perch and walleyes and a bud went fishing on Leech Lake caught lot of tiny eelpouts between 8-10"

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
That is exactly micro-fishing. I'm trying to catch some darters for my tank, but I don't know what set-up I should use
When I think of micro fishing I think of using a setup as small as ice fishing or smaller but my ultra light is 6 foot. I usually chase IGFA records with the lightest line possible but also comes in handy for Log Perch. This year I hit up the fly fish dept and found some smaller hooks than I used before so that will make things easier.

If you are allowed to sein, thats the best/fastest way to score some Darters, etc.

This year I will setup a coral/frag tank and create a darter tank. Cant wait.

Also read in one of my NANFA books that a lot of folks catch or see them under the ice in creeks so you can go out basically anytime and pick some up, haven't had time to try that yet but I will at some point.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I have caught yoy shad/alewives on a fly (a tiny fly) before.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
That is exactly micro-fishing. I'm trying to catch some darters for my tank, but I don't know what set-up I should use
Do yourself a favor and net them. I feel like you may end up having quite a few kill catches hooking darters...that's just judging from how mine eat, they inhale like catfish. I just went to my creek with an aquarium net and scooped mine out, they are easy to catch they always dart (some pun intended) for rock cover. net over the rock and scoop lol.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Do yourself a favor and net them. I feel like you may end up having quite a few kill catches hooking darters...that's just judging from how mine eat, they inhale like catfish. I just went to my creek with an aquarium net and scooped mine out, they are easy to catch they always dart (some pun intended) for rock cover. net over the rock and scoop lol.
Yup, its tough to unhook the darters as they could die from rough handling and hook damage. I've lost logperch and larger darters that way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store