Can't identify, please help

punksteve187

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
I have had my tank setup about two weeks.
Mi have a spotted gar (8"), three tiger oscars, and a water cow or sleeper goby.
Yesterday I noticed my goby had a white patch that seems to be growing. I noticed this during my water change/gravel cleaning.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
looks like he either banged into something in the tank, got bit by one of the Oscars, or its ammonia burn. you say your tank has been set up for 2 weeks, did you cycle the tank beforehand? what are your water parameters?

punksteve187

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
Honestly not sure. I'll be getting a water test today. I have well water and it was several days before adding fish. The oscars are small, 3". They keep to themselves. Haven't seen them mess with anything else in the tank yet.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Well my only other guess is a heater burn, and if you don't have a heater then its probably ammonia burn, especially since he isn't eating. small water changes daily, some seachem stability and seachem prime to help mitigate the toxins in the water, and go from there. 10-25% water changes, every day along with those 2 products I mentioned will get your tank under control. You didn't let the tank cycle, and adding all those fish at once surely caused an ammonia spike, especially ones that eat as much as they do. If your water test comes back with no ammonia or nitrite, then he banged his head off something. Add salt to the tank to mitigate bacterial/fungal secondary infections and let him heal up.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Whats your filtration situation on the tank? what are you using?

punksteve187

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
Okay. Here's the readings.
Ph 8.0
ammonia 1.75 ppm
nitrite 1.0 ppm
nitrate 10 ppm

after reading it seems like these measurements mean that my tank is in trouble and I should use chemicals to balance what's going on.

Suggestions? My goby now has another spot on him. I also just put in melafix. I read that'll help keep him from getting an infection from bacteria.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store