MEDIA SETUP FOR CANISTER FILTER

BurgosRL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Canton, GA
I just picked up a SUNSUN HW-303B 4-STAGE EXTERNAL CANISTER FILTER 370GPH 9W UV STERILIZER W/ MEDIA. It is for a 36 gal, bow front with pool filter sand substrate. 6 Mbunas and 3 Leleupis.

What is a good media combo for this filter? It came with bio balls, ceramic, and activated charcoal.

Suggestions?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I have a couple 302b models.

I put filter floss and a little blue sponge in the bottom (I dont know if yours came with a sponge) it filters from the bottom up so you definitely want your mechanical media in the bottom.

Chemical media is your call. Alot of people dont use it at all.

The bioballs are nearly useless in a canister filter due to their disappointing lack of surface area. you'd be better off using a handful of aquarium gravel Instead almost lol.

The ceramic rings that were shipped with mine didn't look very porous. My fluval rings have more texture. I'd head to the local fish store and buy a couple 500g boxes of biomax. Or if your in a monetary bind, grab a few packs of pot scrubbies.

Don't overload the baskets too much, mine are kinda flimsy, make sure they stack nice without being forced.

I read some articles/reviews and the model you bought pushes close to 200gph with media and head height factored in, which is awesome. Great filters for the money.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
What MBJ said, mech on the bottom (I'd go floss, just my preference) then fill up the other baskets with ceramic rings. you don't need charcoal, all its good for is pulling meds out of a treated tank.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
How often do I need to clean it out?
That all depends on you, your stock, and how heavy you feed. There are people who clean their canisters out once every 6 months, once a month, and some do it like once a year. The ceramic media is really easy to just rinse off so I wouldn't worry to much if maintenance isn't really your jam.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My pair of 302's are on a 40 gal planted Tank. The flow starts to slow between a month and 2 months, but there's alot of mechanical waste. I could probably clean them monthly or even sooner

My fluval 406's are on a 75g bare bottom oscar tank. They still look fairly clean after a couple months

Id open it up after a month and make a judgement

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I am so dumb.. i had no idea it went from the bottom up. No wonder my filter pad is never dirty. Time to flip my canisters trays around. Damn. I use seachem pond matrix in my canisters and its done great for me

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store