250 gallon acrylic tank wooden stand making popping, cracking noises sometimes?

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
I think both the tank and the stand is about 10+ years old. I got it from a cousin, and my cousin got the tank from someone else before handing it over to me, so it's been around in a little "circulation" if you will :D. Not sure about it's foundation and strength anymore. It looks pretty sturdy and not all that weak though. Any ideas what's up with the noises though? Is it just how wood is when it's old? Every now and then, "pop!" Should I be worried about this?? Afraid one day the tank will go bam, the stand cripples and the tank falls, hits the sump below and hopefully worst case scenario when it does fall, it does not decide to tip over face down after but lay tilted on it's back on the wall behind or something. Scary thoughts.. By the way guys, this tank is acrylic, so it's pretty light.. still heavy of course.. imagine if the tank is glass lol I'd even be more worried..

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I would do overall check the stand for open cracks/join loosing nail after time then redo entire stand with waterproof paint (the one that use for wooden patio to against rain and sun from Home Depot, and re-enforce weaken spot if you saw or worry about it, it's always good to spend extra time to work on it before accident happen with fishes in it and in your house :D.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Has the stand been in an unheated building by any chance. If it has it may have taken on some moisture and is just drying out. I live in a log house and every year when the heat goes on we hear CRACK! until the logs dry out some. Just an idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store