125 oscar tank with sponge filter??

warhawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Indiana
I really like running sponge filters on my tanks they are a great bio filter but I understand Oscars are big Bio loads. So this got me to thinking if I throw in two sponge filters rated for 55g each plus run a canister filter rated for 75g (for mechanical filtering) would that be enough for a 125G tank with two oscars? Or will I need to get a new canister filter that will do the full tank and use the sponges as a bonus?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
It would be fine if you don't mind doing tons of water changes.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
In long run would be best if you get bigger canister filter or something better, that 75G rated filter won't have enough turn over for 125G tank to keep it clean with an Oscar.

warhawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Indiana
I'm thinking I will be doing 40-50% water changes every week.

The canister was given to me so I was hoping it would work but maybe not. Maybe I should just save it for when I get my 75g tank(waiting for the local stores to do $1 per gallon sale).

I like the idea of the fluidize bed K1 filters but can't find a deal on the K1 any place and I feel $45 for 7 liters is high when I need 6 for the tank.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I'm thinking I will be doing 40-50% water changes every week.

The canister was given to me so I was hoping it would work but maybe not. Maybe I should just save it for when I get my 75g tank(waiting for the local stores to do $1 per gallon sale).

I like the idea of the fluidize bed K1 filters but can't find a deal on the K1 any place and I feel $45 for 7 liters is high when I need 6 for the tank.
One 50% WC a week may not be enough try twice a week
And if you weren't in Indiana I have two cu. Ft of K1 I'm trying to sell atm

warhawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Indiana
One 50% WC a week may not be enough try twice a week
And if you weren't in Indiana I have two cu. Ft of K1 I'm trying to sell atm

I will keep that in mind. Right now I don't have the Oscars so I'm trying to get everything in place before I buy the little guys.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I will keep that in mind. Right now I don't have the Oscars so I'm trying to get everything in place before I buy the little guys.
Have you ever looked into the large double sponge filters? Maybe two of those would greatly help? You can also use two aqua clear 110s. I had a 180 gallon with an Oscar going on solely two AC110s

warhawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Indiana
My local stores don't have big sponge filters so I have a limited stuff to choose from. I know I can buy online but I would rather not, but in this case I might not have a choice.

I know starting out I can get by with less because the oscar will be small but I would rather have everything in place before I add him to the tank.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
My local stores don't have big sponge filters so I have a limited stuff to choose from. I know I can buy online but I would rather not, but in this case I might not have a choice.

I know starting out I can get by with less because the oscar will be small but I would rather have everything in place before I add him to the tank.
Yea. amazon.com is your best buddie when it comes to this stuff. Its actually pretty cheap

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store