Framed Glass and Foam

Jauch21

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2015
Idaho
So after much research I've read numerous threads that swear by foam under framed tanks and numerous against it. I recently upgraded to a 240 gallon and the stand it came with is very sturdy and level, however I noticed there are a few spaces in the middle that paper will slide under. The gap made me very paranoid, I really dont want my new tank to explode. Foam under the frame also makes me paranoid, thinking the tank may sink in and cause pressure on the bottom glass.

My solution - I placed polystrene on top of the stand and plywood on top of the foam. Still absorbs the weight and distributes it without the frame sinking in. Filled the tank up...perfectly level and gaps are gone.

Anyone with experience in doing this? Any cons to it? First tank over 90 gallons. Looking for any advice I can to make sure this tank lives a long life.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
You mention upward pressure on the glass as the tank settles. This has been stated several times by the nay say-ers of foam. There simply on no upward pressure. Think about it. The foam contacting the glass does`nt even have metal under it, at least on my stands. There is a metal frame the same size as the tank with open area in the middle. Where is there upward pressure? The foam simply compresses under the weight of the tank. You can come to whatever conclusion you want but I will stick with the foam because I have forty years under my belt using it without a single tank breaking and I have set up hundreds of tanks.

As far as wood is concerned I do not know. I think a wood stand may eliminate the need for foam as the wood will compress, though not nearly as much as foam. I`d advise filling the tank s l o w l y. Maybe 25% over four days or a week. That will give things time to settle in.
What kind of floor is it on?

I`m adding this after posting the above. If this is a new tank i would follow the manufacturers instructions for set up. You don`t want to do anything that might void your warranty.

Jauch21

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2015
Idaho
The tanks actually been set up awhile. Just curious if anyone's put the foam under the plywood instead of the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store