Baby gulper hides ALL the time

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I swear you'd think he was part Raphael catfish the way he hides. I picked him up a couple weeks ago, and he's by himself in an, admittedly, bare 40 breeder. I put a decent sized cave in the center to give him some privacy, but he never comes out. If I drop food in front of the cave I might see him come eat it, but otherwise he's a no show.

Is this normal for gulpers? All the videos I've seen show them to be relatively personable, when they're not eating things the same size as themselves.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
When mine was small he'd do that but he later outgrew it.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Gulpers are part of the driftwood cat family and as with most in the family they can be retiring but as festaedan said they can become more outgoing as time goes on. Another factor contributing to his hiding is that he's alone. Many fish feel insecure alone as it can make them prime targets for a predator. With no other fish showing him the coast id clear and making him feel confident he's more apt to hide. If you add more gulpers or dithers you don't mind possible being consumed he should become more social and you'll see him more.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
So the search begins for expendable tankmates! Thanks all. Dan, I'd love to see a pic or two of your guy if you still have him.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I think I recall this aro being 30+% longer than the gulper too. Those little guys are beasts.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
He was indeed. I thought the Aro's length and swimming level would protect him especially during the day but as I went to Mickee Dee's for lunch the gulper fixed himself lunch as well. If it wasn't for space constraints I'd dedicate a tank to a group of the little monsters.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
THAT is amazing! Sorry about the Lei (also a great fish!) but the gulper looks...... healthy.

I was thinking about adding a few FL gars, but it sounds like they might not be safe either if your guy ate an aro bigger than himself.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Juvenile fish have a much higher survival instinct than adult fish. Primarily due to having more predators interested in small easy catches. As they grow and out-grow their natural predators, they gain more confidence and will become more outgoing. Until your cat grows, add plants/driftwood throughout the tank to entice it to move about. So long as it sees defensive positions around it, it will become more gregarious and travel more around the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store