Bearded Dragon "Glass" Surfing?

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
Gods, I haven't been on here for many years. Anyway, recently picked up a bearded dragon who's constantly "glass" surfing. It's in apostrophes because the tank isn't technically made of glass.

It is a 100cm X 60cm x 30 cm opaque plastic tub. Temperatures are about 86F in the cool end and about 95 F at the hot end. One possible issue is the humidity which can't quite be helped because I live in a tropical country, it usually runs between 30 to 50% RH with the help of heat bulbs; otherwise it would hang around 70%. Other things that I can add is that he rarely uses his hidebox and he is a male based on observations for double hemipenis bulges and according to the previous owner. Anyone can identify a possible cause to his "glass" surfing?

Also, he is constantly smearing his waste matter all around as a result of these habits. Would sand or any other substrate make the task of cleaning significantly easier? I end up having to brush waste from his tail rather often.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I had my bearded dragon in high humidity when i had mine. Try a humidifier next to his tank if you have one. I had mine in sand then switched to carpet. What substrate do you have him in now?

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
It's newspaper he's on. He tends to push it all aside when he's attempting to scale the walls and ends up defecating on the bare cage surface.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I would try reptile carpet then. Very easy to clean and you dont have to worry about him eating any of it while feeding.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I've never kept this species but from what I know of glass surfing is that it can usually be a sign of stress. Do you have a screen top on the tote? What kind of airflow does the beardie have? How old is it (adult/juvie)? I think you'll want to raise the temp of the basking spot too.

foto69man

Candiru
MFK Member
Here is my set-up, 75 gallon tank, slate tile, UVB Bulb on the far left, 65watt household bulb on the far right. In the middle was a ceramic heat emitter since I was in cold climates. The log goes up so he could get as close as he wanted to the UVB bulb/heat source. Household bulb helps balance out the heat gradient. Slate tile is what I suggest for everyone. Its better than repti carpet since you never have to replace it. Wipes clean with a wet cloth, its a rougher surface so he had traction, and then helps to keep his nails down. Sand...uh nope never ever. I won't risk impaction, even the slightest on something I spent money on.

If they can't see, but feel vibrations from movement by their tank, but can't see what it is...it'll stress them out. Coming at them from over their top and they can't see you coming will stress them out.

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
I haven't raised the temperature mainly because of my fears that the ambient temperature would become insanely warm, and the fact that he does generate well formed faecal pellets make me guess that digestion hasn't been an issue.

Behaviour wise, what I've observed is some pattern where he will wake up, take it calmly, basking lights are on and you give it an hour. Chaos. I have a video which I can try to upload.

I definitely like the look of slate tile but I'm just slightly concerned about hygiene. Don't mind me but what do you do with that wet cloth after giving it a wipe? Does the tile not also remain generally dirty?

foto69man

Candiru
MFK Member
Well the basking spot should never, ever bee under 95. SHould be at 105-115 if the beardie is a juvenile still, 105 for an adult. the 'cold' side should be 80-85.

For your temperature gradient, well is your set-up open topped? A picture of it would help a lot.

Hygiene, well I use paper towels, so I throw them away. And my beardies normally poop in the bath when I take them out, so not a big deal for me.

I really think he is stressed with the lack of being able to see anything, from the way your set-up is described. They do and can get freaked out easy.

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
The air temperature here is at 30 degrees in the day on average, it can rise to about 34 degrees on really hot days, there really isn't much I can employ as a cooling technique to be honest. I try to keep the room cool with a circulating fan, and I also keep the aircon at 24 degrees celsius through the night and into the early morning. Subsequently, I usually leave the windows of the room closed until the temperatures are equalised. It might be worthy to note that he is captive bred in this environment. I'll get the videos up of his behaviour as soon as I make a relevant youtube account.

And I really went for the tub mainly because I thought it would leave him less stressed due to glass surfing. Okay here's the plan. Because the tank is situated next to a wall, I am thinking of removing the mesh which is currently supporting the UV and heating bulbs. Instead I will suspend both bulbs from the hooks placed on the wall. In that event, some driftwood can be placed in the centre of the cage, rising out of it, which will help to give him perspective. What say you guys?

I am not considering an alternative set up because frankly a tank would cost in the region of 200 dollars local currency and I would find myself struggling with the height. However, should it prove truly necessary, then I will go ahead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store