Those of You With Monster Sized Tanks = Big House = Rich?

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Are you rich? Lol, I am not making this thread to intrude your personal life but to inspire myself and others who would want to know as well.

I see many of you with huge tanks and with more than one or two. And then there are those of you with monster tanks, huge display aquaria and ponds and indoor ponds and aquarium rooms and what not!

Shouldn't that mean you have a lot of space, thus a big house? And I don't think house prices are dropping now. They are ever increasing.

I saw a member here with what looks like the underground level of Batman's private space from the Dark Knight movie and in there instead of building his Batman suit and gadgets he is storing huge tubs for fish keeping transforming himself into the Aquaman!

Many of us here have such dreams and perhaps there are even those of us who are this guy who is financially struggling with that 50G or so bare tank or a dirty substrate with a single Oscar fish watching all of this online after a tired day at work as he quietly dreams of such luxury experiences.

So let me get straight to the question. What do you do and how do you do it? How did you make it financially and made your fish keeping dreams come true? Is it education and career or business ventures? Any advice? And how do you manage your time with your career / business and fish keeping?

They say rich people are quiet but it does not mean they are arrogant. If you have the guts to talk and get to know them or learn from them they don't mind having a conversation with you. And they could be one of the most friendliest persons you could know.

Thank you for your time! :D

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I'm not rich and I'm really young with a 450 gallon tank some show quality fish etc. And no the money was not given to me. It was my own cash!

Sent from my LG-D850 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I have a 150, 3 75s and a couple smaller tanks. Im 20, make 10/hr working at a fish store, have a child to support, live with my girlfriends mom and have ither bills. I dream about some of the tanks people can just go out and buy like theyre nothing. But thats what makes me set goals for myself. But i do think a lot of people (not pointing fingers) are rich that have these massive tanks with expensive fish. Meanwhile im living off of ramen noodles to buy a $100 fish.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
I'm not rich I own a small business do fitness modeling and my wife is a RN together we make 120k a year with house payment car payments 3 kids day care and everything else I have a 450g 150g and a 75g and a 3k pond current being up graded to 12k but I'm not just buying out of no wear I'm a huge saver I save everything change cans everything even if I can only put 50$ a week away I save and save and save and I don't touch that money for nothing it's not even there in my mind and that's how I do it.

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
I'm definetly not wealthy, my biggest tank is 120 gallons.
My mom's BF, who has a 12 bedroom ranch mansion, only keeps a 55 gallon.
I've seen a 300 gallon on a tiny balcony of a tiny apartment.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I had a 55G for a long time through college etc. I didn't make a lot of money, but wasn't really that poor during college (compared to the average college kid).

Once I got a "real job" I upgraded to a nice 100g setup. Its not as big as some, but I spent a lot of time and money on the stand, aesthetics, and automation to make it an impressive display rather than a bare bottom tank on a stand made of square tubing.

Its all about allocation... I'm not wealthy, but firmly middle class. I don't have any kids, so I have a lot of money to spend on toys. The aquarium, which probably cost me about $1500 or so for everything, is not a huge expense really. Anyone making median income in the US could afford a nice aquarium if they wanted to. I've spent 10K of cash into mods on my sports car. If I spent 10K on an aquarium, I could have one of the nicest setups on this website. You don't have to earn $200,000+ to have a nice aquarium. You just have to really want one. Maybe if you want a huge reef aquarium and hire builders and a maintenance company you'd need to be rich, but to have a 200-300 gallon monster tank does not require one to be rich, just requires an average job and the desire to build.

daphilster08

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
St. Paul/Duluth(college) MN
I am 24 years old. I bought a house 2 years out of college because I lived with my parents for a year and saved my money not spending it on unnecessary crap. Just a couple months ago I bought a 540 gallon tank. I am no where near rich. If you are serious about getting a monster tank you will know where to make your sacrifices to be able to get one.

AJD4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Wyoming
It's not all about being ditch I have a 240 gal a 75 gal and a 55 gal it's not about money in life I'm not the richest person in the world I own my own business but I will tell you one thing money doesn't matter it's the want I have workers that say I wish I was as rich as you and can buy a cool tank with cool fish but in the same since they will drop 15000 in performance parts for their truck people choose what they want and some people buy what they want weather it's a fish tank or cars or other toys but what really matters is that at the end of the day your happy with yourself money isn't everything! Happiness is a much richer life.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
I think the OP is inquiring about those with truly monster sized displays.....like the ones built into walls and whatnot holding a thousand or more gallons of water....or the huggge outdoor and indoor ponds that hold all kinds of expensive fish. in that case, you DO have to make a decent living. I know a bunch of people with 125, 240, 300, 540g tanks.....that isn't uncommon and fairly attainable to anyone with a decent job and has their priorities straight. But, the ones with the big extravangant ponds or fully custom indoor setups holding thousands of gallons with rare expensive fish inside are most definitely well off....that stuff is expensive a lot of times involves custom work to your home which can also be expensive

I could be wrong though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store