removing scratches from glass

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Has anyone successfully removed scratches from a tank using cerium oxide? There is a good 8x12 area on my 300g that has several streaking scratchesas if the previous owner tried to clean that little section of glass with a damned rock.

I would like to remove them. They don't look too terrible, and I doubt guests would notice. Problem is, I feel like I'm going spend more time looking at that section than my fish.

Help! :nilly:

windsor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2015
sheffield UK
As above; if you can feel the scratches with your fingernail then cerum oxide will not remove them. Sometimes attempting to do so can actually make them appear more noticeable.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Most of them cannot be felt with a fingernail. There are two big 5" scratches, and a bunch of smaller ones that are tougher to notice.

It would be worth the time to me if it actually works. Any success stories? Really interested in hearing about your technique.

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
You would need a buffing machine to remove scratches.... Car forums is another place you can search for advise on removing scratches.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Right on. Thanks for the advice.

windsor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2015
sheffield UK
If you do give it a try I would first use it on an old piece of scratched glass to see if it's effective before trying it on the main tank, otherwise you may end up like I did, making the scratches appear more noticeable.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Typically in auto body, if you can feel the scratch in the paint, most likely you cannot buff out. Not sure what they can do for window scratches though, if anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store