ropefish and tankmates?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hey all, So I was wondering how aggressive ropefish are, if at all, and if anyone has had any issues with them eating or bullying tankmates. I've been thinking about adding one to my bichir tank, and right now there are several clown loaches that would be in my "worry" size range for larger polys to snack on. My del and koliba leave them be, and in fact the bigger loaches tend to buzz the polys if they get to close, but my guys aren't aggressive either so that may have a lot to do with it. Just curious if anyone has any horror stories about ropes. Thanks!

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I thought my tank was pretty safe lid wise. But there was a small gap where the hoses to the canister go in. Yep he jumped out through there. Found him about two 4 feet from the tank curled up. Just curious i put him back in the tank and he started hlowing bubble and swimming but he only lasted about an hour. Then he went stiff.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
I have them near two years..one jumped out once because it got scared of my hand..otherwise very calm..no jumping out or so even if i keep lid open :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
awesome thanks for the info guys! My view is if my telephone pole of a delhezi hasn't tried to eat the small loaches, then a ropefish should be ok haha

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
That should be fine :) there is no way that rope can eat or harm loach :) but also depends of ropes character..i have 3 totally calm (14-15" ) and one (8" ) who steals food right from the gars (5" ) mouth :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
I'm pretty sure you don't toss them in straightaway when they've been out of the water for awhile. Leave them in a shallow tub. Correct me if I'm wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store