Ice Fishing Help!

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
So I've been unsuccessfully trying to ice fish this season and need some help! I've tried going before in the past years but never had any luck. I go on a private pond on my property that I know has fish in it because in the summer there's great fishing. I live in PA by the way (Southwest) and I really want to catch something through the ice. The pond is about 150 yds in diameter and probably around 8 ft deep in the middle. The ice is about 1 foot thick. I've tried a basic hook and sinker with redworms and night crawlers for several hours with no luck. Are there any specific rigs or sure fire baits to use? Could the smaller size of the pond affect the activity of the fish? All the fish in there spawn every spring so they are self sufficient. I plan on trying later tonight. Anybody have any suggestions? Please help! Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Forget worms, try waxies or spikes.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Try shiners or bait fish for the bass. Are you using a ice fishing trap?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Maybe try suspended, are you fishing on the bottom? Try a new location?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
No I used actual rods. I even tried waxies and it still didn't work. Could the pond be too small? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
or its possible that you don't know how to locate suspended panfish. Try this technique called hole hopping. Drill lot of holes and fish one of these hole. If no nibble for 15minutes, hop to another hole. Do you have a flasher? It will help you locating the fish at what dept.

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
or its possible that you don't know how to locate suspended panfish. Try this technique called hole hopping. Drill lot of holes and fish one of these hole. If no nibble for 15minutes, hop to another hole. Do you have a flasher? It will help you locating the fish at what dept.
Okay I'll try that. I don't have a flasher but I know where the fish are in the summer months. I'll just drill along those spots and try that technique. Thanks, I'll post my progress after today.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store