Taking the plunge. Buying a large acrylic tank, and need advice.

freebyrd

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Virginia
I'm looking to spend some tax returns on my favorite hobby, and I've been talking about acrylic for quite some time.

I live in Virginia, what are some reputable companies that build custom tanks? I've heard of glasscages.com and Midwest customs, is there anyone else you guys recommend? I'm looking to get a complete tank/stand/sump in the 300-400 gallon range.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Timmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
On Mother EARTH
Not that this answers your question, but doesn't acrylic scratch easily? I am a glass person, although heavy it doesn't get the haze or foggy look to it. I mybe wrong on that statement!

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
You can easily buff acrylic scratches out. With mighty mags you can do this without even draining the tank although it takes awhile. Acrylic insulates better, is lighter, and clearer, and can take more impact force.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
You can't go wrong with Midwest Custom Aquariums. Check out their website. Chris went the extra mile for us. He can set you up with everything....tank, stand, sump

Bud8Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Nebraska
Not that this answers your question, but doesn't acrylic scratch easily? I am a glass person, although heavy it doesn't get the haze or foggy look to it. I mybe wrong on that statement!
They only get haze or a foggy look if they are not properly maintained like using non-acrylic safe cleaning pads. Plecos and acrylic also do not go together but I do just fine living without those.

freebyrd

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Virginia
I plan to have no plecos, I don't feel that the tank would get scratched as long as I'm careful. What about external filter placement? Would just a sump be enuff? Would I need to make adapters for fx5s to work?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Have you priced this out yet, your talking $15000 range
I think he can find a better deal than that. I picked up an acrylic 450, steel stand, 200gal sump, pumps, and k1 for 3k. Granted we are in different regions of the country.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I plan to have no plecos, I don't feel that the tank would get scratched as long as I'm careful. What about external filter placement? Would just a sump be enuff? Would I need to make adapters for fx5s to work?

If you are getting a custom made tank, it should come with everything, i.e., you should not have to make adapters. If you are going with a sump, have you considered external overflow boxes? If you are planning on running some FX5s, have the tank drilled to accommodate them. I prefer the top of the tank drilled rather than the back of the tank. (Our fish have hit our uptakes with such force, that two bulkheads have broken. Very glad we didn't drill the back of the tank).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store