Info wanted on Bleeding Shiners. WOW! what a beauty!

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Will do. There were only three listings (not these) in the native NA section just a little bit ago. Thanks.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
You will be super disappointed when the breeding season is over and they lost their colors and be dull for the rest of year. There's a reason why darters and minnows have never catch on with most aquarists.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I figured they might not be all that if not spawning. That is one of the things that has kept me from keeping native fish for most of my life. There is not too much that can compare to a fresh caught brookie or a sunfish in spawning color, but put them in a tank and they just never look the same. I guess I`ll have to do some more research before I totally commit to to the idea. But still, you have to admit that videos sure makes them enticing.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
You don't need tropical fish for color. Fish like Redside dace, candy darters, and northern Studfish among many natives maintain their beautiful coloration year round. Forget cichlids and reef fish, we need more native fish people!

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
You don't need tropical fish for color. Fish like Redside dace, candy darters, and northern Studfish among many natives maintain their beautiful coloration year round. Forget cichlids and reef fish, we need more native fish people!
Many natives maintain their beautiful coloration year around? Come on, dude we knew its not that true. They gets colorful at breeding season then loses it to avoid the predators.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Many natives maintain their beautiful coloration year around? Come on, dude we knew its not that true. They gets colorful at breeding season then loses it to avoid the predators.
Maybe not for you, but my redsides keep their color all year, the same goes for my green sunfish.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Maybe not for you, but my redsides keep their color all year, the same goes for my green sunfish.
green sunfish are not that colorful....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store