Treating tap water

livinisfishin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2015
Ontario,Canada
Is it possible to actually remove chlorine by running tap water through a 10 " whole house GAC filter before topping up a tank? Ive read multiple articles on this and am not sure about what ive read. Does anybody do this with their tanks?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I was a chemist at a drinking water facility, we would slowly drip chlorinated water thru a 3 ft high X 2" diameter tube of GAC for lab use, the drip was maybe 1 drop every 3 seconds, and we'd get about a liter of chlorine free water every 20 minutes.

livinisfishin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2015
Ontario,Canada
Wow thats like watching paint dry. Thanks for the reply! Seems like its not worth the effort to set something up. I was thinking along the lines of chlorine free temperature regulated water by opening a shut off and away i go. I knew it would be a slow fill but not that bad.

livinisfishin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2015
Ontario,Canada
Ill reread the sticky thats up there to familiarize myself with that stuff. Is beneficial to atleast add a sediment filter in, or would that pull to much out of the water?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Sediment filters only trap particles that may be in your water such as sand or stuff knocked off the piping on the way to your home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store