Fungus/White Growths/Flashing and Nitro, Metro, Kanamycin

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I've been having white growths on outside if fish's fins.... http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?601540-White-Dot-on-Fin-Tips

I started with PraziPro and Pimafix. Prazi helped one fish, but did nothing to help the white growths. White growths got worse, and then my Trimac got 5-6 white growths on one side of his face. Now, that's serious--I really like my Trimac. I'm pretty sure I have 2-3 different diseases. The sick fish that the Prazi helped was acting very differently from the fish with the white growths. So, talking to an online breeder about it, and remembering what Aquanero suggested, I decided to man up and get some real med's.

I got Nitrofurazone, Metronidazole, and Kanamycin. I read the directions on the label, and dosed the tank last night and tonight as follows.

540 gallon tank, 80 gallons in the sump, so I figured 620 gallons of water. I mixed up in a gallon of tank water....
40 grams of Nitro
50 grams of Kanamycin
12 grams of Metro.

I'm out of Kanamycin now, but I still have plenty of Metro and Nitro. Seen no improvement at all so far--but it's only the second day.

So, I figure I'll continue with Nitro and Metro, everyday, for 3 more days?

What says the hive?

Ammonia, nitrite are 0, Nitrate is also real close to 0. I was dripping 40 gallons per day of fresh water, I turned that off last night before the first treatment. pH is 7.2-7.4, which may be too high for Nitro?

How long can I continue with Nitro and Metro? Label says 5-7 days, but that sounds too long? Should I order some more Kanamycin--I've read that's hard on the fish's kidneys?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I don't think these meds(antibiotics/bacterials) will be too effective against fungus. Since you started, be sure to finish complete cycle. From my experience, fungus will heal on its own with clean water treatment but maybe someone will chime in with some other suggestions.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Nitrofurazone has been extremely effective against external fungus in my experience although it takes a week to really kick in. I've cleared fungus in 2 weeks using it alone.

Looking at the pics in the other thread I'm not sure if that's fungus. Is it pillowy and fluffy? Or white nodules?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Ah ha! That's what the fish dealer told me, too. Glad to hear it. All the fish have the tiny white fin growth but one. It starts like a tiny white dot, gets bigger over time before it goes away. When it's big enough to see, it's a cottony type growth. So I guess that's fungus.

The Trimac has 5 white growths side of his face, one on his side--those are not cottony. He's the only fish has those types of white growths. And done of these fish flash on the bottom and the driftwood.

So, I'm guessing -- in all my experience with such things--that I 2 different diseases manifesting as symptoms of an underlying disease. I think the underlying cause is a Protozoa or bacteria weakening their immune system and making them vulnerable to other infections? Maybe?

So you've kept fish on Nitro for 2 weeks? I have enough on hand to do that, but...should I?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Correction--SOME of these fish flash. I'd say 4 out of 15.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
And the cause is....I know you've heard it before....not using a QT tank for new arrivals. Never again. I should have put tbe new fish in my 125, waited a month before putting them in 540. Now so many are sick, I can't do it. It's expensive treating 600 gallins if water!!

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I buy that theory that something is weakening their immune systems making them susceptible.

Maybe consider feeding Epsom soaked pellets to clear their tracts of any Protozoa? Nitro for the suspected fungus?

I think that would be a safe treatment. Although the metro should address any GI bugs like spiro/hex

Hopefully someone with more expertise will chime in soon.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
My only worry with the Metro...I'm just putting it in the tank water. Is that sufficient for internal bugs? Or do I NEED to soak their food in it?

Cause they all tear up Freeze dried Krill. And that stuff would soak up Metro in solution real well.....

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I've read it's more effective when consumed.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Ok. Did that tonight too. About 1/2 gram in some water, soaked all that up with dried krill and fed it to 'em.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store