Time to rebuild or replace my pump that has been running for 15 years, maybe not.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
So for quite some time I have been noticing the flow on my pump, that has been running for the better part of 15 years, was getting lower and lower. I was thinking it was time to rebuild or replace it. Then today I drained the tank down past the intake. I normally use a shut off valve in the line so that I do not lose the prime on the line. After I back flushed it and started again I had more than twice the flow I did before. Not like new but more than acceptable. So what happened? In the process of back flushing the air out I figured out the valve had been holding a pocket of air that was restricting the flow. Thought I was past such nonsense tripping me up! So remember, it is never too late to learn or relearn something.

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
I would compare what a similar size pump consumes in terms of electricty. Newer pumps should consumes less power for the same output.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
More than likely there may have been an obstruction in the plumbing... or like many old pumps, the impellers get a little fussy and just need to find that "sweet spot " as they become continually worn out. Old impellers/shafts can rotate irregularly and cavitate due to excessive wear.

If it works I'd keep it. Energy efficient options do exist, but they take a long time to pay for themselves. Just like my functional ancient washer and dryer... they aren't easy on the utility bills, but they beat spending close to 2 grand on a new set

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store