Power Filter Survey

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
I made a Google Docs form a few weeks ago to do a survey on which Hang on Back Power filters people prefer. I posted the survey on reddit, but would love to get more input. If people feel like giving me their input the survey is here. I'll post results in a week.

Survey

ktrom13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2014
massachusetts
I've had nothing but success with aquaclear products ( I believe they are now a fluval brand) and fluval c4. The fluval c4 is a very well designed and adaptable filter. All of space to put extra media and things of that nature. The aquaclear line ( 30, 50, 70, 110) are extremely adaptable. You can make a refugium, and ALOT of different media. Some of the pumps are interchangeable ( I believe the pumps from the 30 and 50 can be used on either). Both awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Timmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
On Mother EARTH
I had emp 400's for years. The bio wheels get clogged and stop moving on a regular basis. Not sure if id recommend them. I don't have experience with AC filters, but like the idea of no moving bio wheels. I have since moved to canisters (only) and have no complaints.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I like cartridge based filters. The whole point of a HOB filter for me is something that moves alot of oxygenated water, is very easy to clean, and filters out particulate matter. An Ac110 is better for bio media, but it's just about as much hassle as cleaning my fluval or sunsun canisters.

I liked the aqueon quietflow 75s for years. The blue bio holster held squares of poly pads just fine. uploadfromtaptalk1425753220272.jpg inecpensive unit and 400gph to boot

recently i went back to using whisper 60s for my mechanical filtering. I like the sponge inserts. The factory cartridges are super cheap but Its easy to wrap poly padding (quit store stuff) around the black inserts and make filter pads for pennies. They are quiet and parts are cheap. Did I mention the whole filter is cheap?

If you spend money for store bought filter cartridges for your HOB filters, then thats your problem

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
Back in the late 80s, I read the first version of the rec.aquaria FAQ an they couldn't praise the Aquaclear more. So I bought, what was at the time, an Aquaclear 150, to replace a Whisper 1 power filter. I loved it. My tank has an Aquaclear 300 on it now (now called a 70) and I think I've had the same sponge since the day I bought it. I've given older Aquaclears I have had to people (had a mini and a 200 at one point), and they come back to be months later telling me how much they love them, and they'll never buy brand xxx again.

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
I realized I never posted my results on this. So here goes:

Fluval Aquaclear: 28
Aqueon Quietflow: 7
Tetra Whisper: 5
Marineland Penguin: 1
Marineland Emperor: 2