Baffles for rubbermaid tote sump?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I'm gonna make a sump out of a rubbermaid tote, i was just wondering what you guys would make the baffles out of and how would you secure them? Thanks.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork etwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I bought a cheap (less than $20) stacked drawer cabinet from WalMart to place into a large tote. Holes were drilled in every drawer bottom to form drip plates to the next drawer chamber (except the bottom drawer where the drawer front received 2 large cut-out areas for water flow into the sump).

drawerbin.jpg

drawerbin.jpg

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Hey man, much appreciated, really cool idea, but i want to separate 3 chambers in the Rubbermaid so only the output chamber water level fluctuates. Anyway just want to know what people use for separation baffles (acrylic?) and what do you use to secure them (silicone)? Also, would a heater in a rubbermaid melt the plastic?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The entire bottom becomes the output chamber and the tote's level will be all that fluctuates with evaporation and water refilling. Every chamber in the cabinet is a gravity drip chamber.

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
I'd say your best options to create the effect you're describing are either put the pump in a secondary container within the sump or place bulkhead fittings at the desired water level, plumb those to another container next to the sump, and use that container to house the pump. The cabinet Oddball posted can be used to achieve the same effect but the bottom drawer of the cabinet is the constant level chamber and the rubbermaid tote is the fluctuating chamber.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I think i am missing something, but I'll give it more thought and see how it works because it seems like a cheap and effective solution. In the meantime, I essentially want to create a middle chamber that stays constant for a protein skimmer. Something like this is what I wanted to achieve out of the rubbermaid:

uploadfromtaptalk1425827071729.jpg

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
If you're gonna use baffles just buy a small glass aquarium. As mentioned above, the only real way to achieve this effect with plastic totes is to chain 2 or 3 of them together with bulkheads. And progressively step the level which the bulkheads drain down until you get to your last tote

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I think i am missing something, but I'll give it more thought and see how it works because it seems like a cheap and effective solution. In the meantime, I essentially want to create a middle chamber that stays constant for a protein skimmer. Something like this is what I wanted to achieve out of the rubbermaid:

View attachment 1063112

What your missing is that it simply will not work the way you want it to. Rubbermaid and Agrimaster poly tanks don't do well with baffles. For one it is a pain cutting things to fit them. Secondly not much sticks them. Let me dig up an old thread for you on someone on here that did baffles. Didn't work out well for them in the long run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Okay great, good to know before I started this whole thing. So if I place the aforementioned tower in my rubbermaid tote, obviously the totes level will fluctuate with evaporation etc, which is problematic for a skimmer. Other than linking another tote (limited room under stand), any suggestions on how to have this work? Would an auto top off be the best way to keep it where I want?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store