DIY 85gal Acrylic Sump. K1

Jacunaba

Candiru
MFK Member
May 23, 2012
The Land of Big Tanks
I couldn't find a sump with the correct dimensions to fit under my 48x30x24 150gal tank.
Everything that fit seemed to in the 30-40 gal range, but I wanted bigger.
I decided to purchase a sheet of acrylic and make my own sump.
40x24X21 was as big of tank that I could make out of one 4x8 sheet and still have some thin strips for strapping as well as fitting under the tank.
I sectioned it off into 3 areas. 9" dedicated to dual 7" filter socks. K1 chamber is 24", and 7" for the return pump.
Just have to drill out bulkhead returns on top before she's ready to go.
View attachment 1063003
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1425765596.176923.jpg
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1425769038.274572.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mustang93svt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2010
ohio
Very nice work. But just to give you a heads up. The holes drilled at the top for water to enter and exit the K1 area doesn't work. I have tried it. What will happen is the K1 will get trapped to the hole and cut the water flow until it overflows the K1 area washing the K1 into the pump area. And overtime the holes will catch debris and plug up aswell. The best way is how the king of diy on youtube did his [video=youtube_share;FzY7PZycmc4]http://youtu.be/FzY7PZycmc4?list=PLcWeEm9w62maaz5-CO-M0O7MzldTzRRhn[/video], with 4 bulkheads and pvc. So the water comes in from the bottom and exits at the top. Hope this helps, I fought with my first sump for a year before I gave in and drilled holes for bulkheads, now it works great.

Jacunaba

Candiru
MFK Member
May 23, 2012
The Land of Big Tanks
Very nice work. But just to give you a heads up. The holes drilled at the top for water to enter and exit the K1 area doesn't work. I have tried it. What will happen is the K1 will get trapped to the hole and cut the water flow until it overflows the K1 area washing the K1 into the pump area. And overtime the holes will catch debris and plug up aswell. The best way is how the king of diy on youtube did his [video=youtube_share;FzY7PZycmc4]http://youtu.be/FzY7PZycmc4?list=PLcWeEm9w62maaz5-CO-M0O7MzldTzRRhn[/video], with 4 bulkheads and pvc. So the water comes in from the bottom and exits at the top. Hope this helps, I fought with my first sump for a year before I gave in and drilled holes for bulkheads, now it works great.
Thanks for the heads up! There's is actually a 5/16" gap between the two panels in case the holes get clogged. I was hoping it wouldn't have to use it. Hopefully it works. If it doesn't end up working out, I have plenty of 1.5" bulkheads laying around.
At least I'd only have to modify the 2nd baffle as the k1 couldn't possibly clog the incoming water as there is a gap underneath the 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I need to hire you @jacunaba. Great job.
In going to need a 150+gallon sump and an entire plumbing redo in the near future.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I have my k1 setup done this way with holes the threw a piece of acylic (350 holes) i drilled it will a milling machine so it took no time at all and havent had a problem yet. Sump has been running for 4 months like this and i check it every water change twice a week. I think you need free enough movement threw to your next chamber so the dont stick. Im no engineer but it makes sense to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store