Florida Soft-shell Turtle (Questions)

TonysMonsterFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
New York
Hey everyone, I was given a Florida soft shell turtle 2 days ago. Its about 10 inches and I have it in my 180G with my huge monster fish. The person that gave it to me said that it doesn't like to bask or come out of the water. Could it be true? Right now it is swimming back and forth and burying itself under my sand. It does come up for air. Im not sure of there behaviors and there routines. Does anyone have experience with these turtles? Any tips on keeping them with my fish? Do you think I should try getting a floating dock? Thank you in advance for your help.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Hey everyone, I was given a Florida soft shell turtle 2 days ago. Its about 10 inches and I have it in my 180G with my huge monster fish. The person that gave it to me said that it doesn't like to bask or come out of the water. Could it be true? Right now it is swimming back and forth and burying itself under my sand. It does come up for air. Im not sure of there behaviors and there routines. Does anyone have experience with these turtles? Any tips on keeping them with my fish? Do you think I should try getting a floating dock? Thank you in advance for your help.
Florida softshells indeed need to bask...they may often sleep underwater for periods of time but an appropriate basking platform needs to be provided for them to completly dry off and rest. My florida ss uses her platform daily. The platform needs to be pretty secure, 10" is a decent sized turtle to support. Google "turtle topper" and youll get some ideas of what you need to make/aquire. Heres a couple pics of a topper/platform and 14" SS in my 1400gal... these guys get big, need space, and can take out fish at their own discretion ;). 180 is a good start, id look into a larger setup with permenant basking platform or land area.

uploadfromtaptalk1425801806885.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1425801855297.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1425802151790.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1425802407303.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Basking is important for all aquatic turtles and must be provided if they ever use it or not. In my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store