Common and Alligator Snapping Turtles Together?

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
Does anyone know, assuming they were the same size, if a baby common snapper can be kept with a baby alligator snapper? Would they grow at the same rate or would one outgrow the other? If so, which would grow faster? I'm considering getting an alligator snapper, but I already have a common snapper and I was wondering if I can just have one large pond instead of two kiddie pools running in the future.
I fully understand all the care requirements of these species, so no lecturing is necessary.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
Does anyone know, assuming they were the same size, if a baby common snapper can be kept with a baby alligator snapper? Would they grow at the same rate or would one outgrow the other? If so, which would grow faster? I'm considering getting an alligator snapper, but I already have a common snapper and I was wondering if I can just have one large pond instead of two kiddie pools running in the future.
I fully understand all the care requirements of these species, so no lecturing is necessary.

I've kept the two together before with the common being larger. I didn't see any aggression between the two but the common definitely grows faster ime. I've seen large ones kept together with no problems along with American alligators. When I kept them the common had about a 5" shell and the alligator about a 3" shell. The common ended up knocking down a land piece in the tank and the alligator snapper got an upper respiratory infection and died. They didn't seem to show any aggression when they were together but mine were fairly mild and my common has grown way more aggressive because he got larger.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
I've kept the two together before with the common being larger. I didn't see any aggression between the two but the common definitely grows faster ime. I've seen large ones kept together with no problems along with American alligators. When I kept them the common had about a 5" shell and the alligator about a 3" shell. The common ended up knocking down a land piece in the tank and the alligator snapper got an upper respiratory infection and died. They didn't seem to show any aggression when they were together but mine were fairly mild and my common has grown way more aggressive because he got larger.

Interesting. I've heard lots of stories about them getting aggressive as they get older. What about keeping commons with other same-sized commons? Or would Mata-Matas be compatible with either snappers?

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
Interesting. I've heard lots of stories about them getting aggressive as they get older. What about keeping commons with other same-sized commons? Or would Mata-Matas be compatible with either snappers?

Sorry to say I have no clue. The common/alligator combo is the only I've ever tried.

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
Ok. I think I'll try putting a hatchling alligator snapper in my 40 gallon with my common to see how it goes. Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any fish I can keep with the snappers long-term? Perhaps not until the turtles reach full size, but until they're around 8 inches at least?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store