Hystrix personality

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Since I have had my trio there has been a lot of worry going on.

Basically they are either not as aggressive of eater as I am used to or there is something wrong. They spend 90 percent of the time buried in the sand and have really cut down on eating tremendously. To be honest if they are eating they are eating very little compared to what they used to. I am trying not to be paranoid but I kinda am. I actually bought some worms yesterday to get them eating (which they did) however for long term I am trying to figure out if this it the personality of this ray or there is something wrong

Water quality perfect and I drip 5gph on a 500 gallon tank and they have been in captivity for a few years now.

Tank mates are a bunch of rainbow fish, a few angels, and a tinfoil barb. Also an asian arrowana which is very non aggressive however wondering if this thing may be stressing them out.

I know not a lot of info to go on so just looking for a character reference on Hystrix. Are they active or do they hide a lot?

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Ive never owned hystrix but it sounds like something is wrong.

Have you spied on the tank after the lights go out?

Have you tested nitrates?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Did you see what they were eating before you bought them? Maybe they are stuck on worms?

I have been lucky and only had one person tell me their rays were eating everything to later find out that wasn't the case!

Hope all goes well for you and it's just a simple food thing or personality difference and not a health problem!

You inbox is full.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
My female is always out and about. The male usually hangs out under the drift wood, but comes out in the evening. I would say they have their own personality
However, where yours have changed since you got them it sounds like something is stressing them. Perhaps the aro? How big is it? W hat where they eating when you first got them?

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
I will go out and get a nitrate test kit today and rule that out. With the drip I would find this hard to believe but you never know. The arrow does not touch anything in the tank however you never know maybe these rays just don't like it for whatever reason. Thanks for your help all...I will keep on slugging away and let you know. The rays did eat shrimp and smelts so I know it is a recent issue rather than a chronic one

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Happy ending to this story. Moved the arrowana out (traded him for a BDXLeo) and now the rays are very happy and eating like crazy.

Also moved out my Rainbowfish while I was at it and went with 12 Tiger, 3 red hook and a regular silver dollars. Tank looks a bit more amazon now. Will post pics when things settle down.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Happy ending to this story. Moved the arrowana out (traded him for a BDXLeo) and now the rays are very happy and eating like crazy.

Also moved out my Rainbowfish while I was at it and went with 12 Tiger, 3 red hook and a regular silver dollars. Tank looks a bit more amazon now. Will post pics when things settle down.
Looking forward to seeing your fist full of dollars 😃

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Glad they are doing better.

brucecost

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
chicago
I don't think Hystrix (or any ray) like the "larger fish" around them, at least in my tanks. I have noticed since a "tig" has gotten larger in my tanks 24"+, I have noticed more hiding among the driftwood of my rays. Dither fish has helped (danios and silver dollars) and every month of so I rearrange the driftwood just to keep territories at bay.
Generally they are very active slowing down only after eating so it seems.
Hope it helps...........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store