Oxy. Niger outgrown 600 gallon

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Amongst the Catfish & Plecos
So, I have 3 Oxydoras nigers that have or are outgrowing my 600 gallon. 2 of them are about 3 feet and beastly. Anyone know of someone in SoCal who has a setup that can handle them and might want them? Rehoming them is probably going to be necessary rather than building an indoor pond at this point. Breaks my heart to think of them not being here after all these years, but I hate seeing them crammed into my 600 gallon.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
We've got a huge "river monsters" tank that's 177,000 gallons at the aquarium downtown here, I'll check tomorrow and see if they are interested. They go periodically to The Steinhart Aquarium to pick up or deliver fish. Maybe interested, sure enough. We only have one at the moment and it's in another Amazon river tank that's "only" about 50-75,000 gallons. I'll ask and see what I can do. Have you owned the fish since they were only a few inches long? Do they have any deformation's? Such as scars or messed up fins that grew back oddly? Thanks

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
What size are they ,exactly? The tank that they would be put into after quarantine has alot of BIG fish in it. 8' Arapaima, 100 pound Blue Catfish, 75-100 pound Paroon Sharks, 75+ pound Redtail Catfish, 4-5' TSN Catfish, ect.... Armor helps out alot, but it's not a fix all solution. Also, what type of food are they eating, or will they eat without a problem.

Just saw the size in the OP. 36" should be ok to go in the big tanks without a problem.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hi Jen, I've just gone through the thread in your signature. Nice stuff. I am glad you are going strong. I've killed more fish that I can remember. That's part of learning, sadly but realistically. Hang tough because we are all in one boat.

I'd be happy to help you out but my rescue is "only" 3000 miles away.

@Zeke: looks like Jen has had these cats a long time and they look real nice in her thread.

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
I've had these guys since they were about 3 inches. They have no deformities, and have been perfectly healthy. I would miss them horribly, but I'd love to see them go somewhere that nice.

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
I assume youre talking about my big shovelnose cats. That was awful. Rtcxtsn ripped the filtration underwater AND pinched all the backup air line at the same time. That... That was a lot of tears. Oh and thank you. I love my 'kitties'. Well, ideally I can convince my husband to help build the 8x12x3 pond I want and these guys and stay here and be doted on. I have a plan of attack to convince him this is feasible, but I'm not sure he'll buy it. I'll sure try though. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store