Fish tank mates for Snapping Turtle

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
Are there any fish I can keep with my common snapper and soon-to-arrive alligator snapper? I have a pleco in my 40 gallon with the common but I was wondering if there are any other species I can keep with these guys. Preferably something that can be kept with them past hatchling stage, so probably not African cichlids. I don't think there are fish that can be kept with them until full size, but I'd rather be able to keep them together for as long as possible.

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
Nothing they can catch. Just keep fast / cheap fish with them.

What kind of plan you have for these guys? A full size alligator snapper is beyond massive.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
The common is just a hatchling right now in a 40 gallon with a pleco. I plan to buy a hatchling alligator snapper, and keep it in the 40 gallon with the common snapper and the pleco. Once they grow a bit, they'll be moved into a 75 gallon and from there into a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank. The common will live out his days in a backyard pond here in Michigan, where they are native. The alligator snapper will stay in the stock tank for as long as I end up owning him, but I understand that can't be forever because they live so incredibly long. If he outgrows even the stock tank, I'll probably send him down south to a friend in Georgia, and let him decide what to do from there. If one begins to grow faster than the other at any point and food competition becomes an issue, then I am more than capable of separating them into their own enclosures.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I have a feeling, even as hatchlings, you are going to see a brawl and possible fatality with two snappers in a 40B, but I may be wrong. As suggested, fast and cheap fish, are going to be the only fish tank mates they can have, and I bet you'll notice them missing soon enough lol.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
From what I read commons grow a lot faster then alligator snappers do so the common will beat on the AST but since AST grow so slow you will have a whole before it gets massive. Also look into logger head acres he's a good guy and will swap out adults for hatchlings when the adults get too big, post pics id love to see

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Also I know some people will hate me for this but just toss in some minnows or stuff for tank mates I plan on going minnow trapping and tossing them in for food when I get mine no fish will live with an AST for long he's a fisherman and will get any tank mates in his belly

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Yea I think you are going to see some battle scars and maybe a fatality trying to house those together in a 40. At the very least somebody (probably the AST) is losing a tail. Generally AST are ambush predators and commons are hunters, that's why the AST is probably in more danger. Of course that all depends on the size of each. That said I've kept multiple commons together in ~100G stock tanks without issue, but they were very well fed.

I'd go with the school of fast and cheap X fish. In a really big tank with lots of structure you could maybe have some luck with natives like sunfish or possibly convicts. Best bet is to assume anything you put with a snapper is a feeder, and enjoy it while it lasts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store