Those With Predatory Fish Who Feed Live Food

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
What was the most brutal moment you have witnessed during the feeding?

And has it been to the extent where it left you with guilt wondering what you're doing? Have you considered giving up on live food as a result?

Some feeding session surprises you with so much respect for your predatory fish. You are amazed how skilled and tough it is. However there can also be moments where it's just plain ugly.

Share with us the moments when it felt too cruel and left you uncertain.

I remember I had a pair of juvenile Giant Snakeheads. The water can be a little bloody during feeding. One day one of them caught the tail of a minnow and the other caught its head. Then both Snakeheads did the death roll ripping the minnow in two as blood oozed out.

This shocked me in amazement but I was also left speechless. However, I gained so much respect for them. They were just so badass. I was a kid and felt like I had tigers at home.

Now I have a 5 inches long Striped Snakehead. I fed him a tilapia feeder almost as big as his head and boy he swallowed it with ease. Unfortunately, the second tilapia was a little bigger and this turned ugly and left me with guilt as the Snakehead constantly attacked to kill it.

He couldn't swallow it and it became cruel. I quickly removed the tilapia and wondered what the hell was I doing.

Then I wondered if I should just feed frozen meaty food, prawns, crickets and mealworms. I felt so guilty after that.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
There is no reason at all to feed live if the fish will take prepared or dead. Unless, as you seem to indicate, you get some kind of thrill from it.

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
When I first got my Oscar, I used to feed him semi developed tadpoles from my pond because he wouldn't eat pellets. Seen several tadpoles picked at, ripped apart, and swim around with 3 less limbs and half a tail only to get blindsided and torn apart from a 2"Oscar. When my O got to 7" or so, I fed him a few thick 3" feeders that he had trouble swallowing....he would basically chew them up slowly and keep spitting back and repeating the process. Definitely not pretty but it is what it is.

In the wild, fish eat other fish, insects, frogs, or whatever. Most of the fish we keep aren't wild, but in my experience my Oscar is happier and healthier when I feed him live as well a pellets. I don't have any moral issues with it and never really feel bad. I only slowed up on it because it brought a lot of parasites to my tank

One time I bought about 20 feeder goldfish put them in my pond because my quarantine tank wasn't ready yet...well they are about 3-4" inches now, I feed them daily, and would NEVER think about feeding them to my Oscar lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Can't go wrong with pellet and frozen food, its safer and healthier.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
What if the fish is not accepting anything but live food?
Good question. My Channa Pleuros at 3 inches do not eagerly go for non live food and it ends up dirtying the water quality as they spit it out a lot and only sometimes eat them. They do the same with live mealworms. They are primarily designed to eat fish.

Another thing is I think it's ironic to want a predatory monster fish but to be against live food. But if it accepts frozen food then it should be alright. I feed my other Snakeheads a variety of diet even though they accept frozen meaty food. I just like to keep it exciting and refreshing for them.

I think the problem happens when some put a big feeder whether purposely or accidentally and witness a brutal killing. It indirectly reflects upon yourself as the one torturing a fish ..and guilt sets in.

Nobody wants to grab and kill a chicken but everybody wants Kentucky Fried Chicken.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I currently have 4 fish on live, and none of them are brutal in the least. My black crappie swallows minnows whole, and my 2 gar and pickerel T-bone and swallow whole lol.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
back when I used to keep Piranha , I had a shoal of red bellies. I remember the one and only time I ever found them a mouse. I had a Red that was about 10" he was a beast and 6 others about 5" the biggest red swam out of the weeds right underneath the mouse cleanly bit him in half, tail and all. the rest swam in and there was literally nothing left once they finished.

It was dirty , cruel and the first and last time i ever fed it live food. that's just my opinion on it. It's up to the individual to decide what they feel is right for there fish.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I think there is no gray area between ethics and need. These pets we have need food, "need" arises when they need food and there is no alternative for what they need as in food. Ethics comes into play when there is no "need":what::D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store