UV STERILizers -- Tell me all about em

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
After a bout with some type of disease (or 2, or 3) in a large tank, reading about "protozoa", I'm considering a UV sterilizer. I have 540 Gallon tank, with a 135 Gal sump. The return pumps to the tank are Laguna 2400's. So, is that too fast flow rate/too low dwell time for a UV sterilizer?

I don't want to just Tee off a return line to a UV because then, I won't really KNOW the flow rate/dwell time, and I won't know the UV is working right. Do I get another pump of known output flowrate, and put the output of that to a UV? What's a good UV to buy, that actually sterilizes water and kills protozoa? How do I size one to my tank? And will UV sterilizer make my tank algae free, too?

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
I just picked up a TMC Vecton V2 600 for my 125g last week. It arrived with a busted quartz sleeve due to poor handling during shipping even with 6 layers of bubble wrap./ The guys at AAP had me take some shots and packaging/damaged item, filed a claim with fedex, and shipped out a new sleeve via USPS priority the very next day. As a result I just got it set up this morning finally.

About UV Sterilization This link is what one of their guys Carl wrote (I spoke with Carl and Steven during my experience). The TMC line of sterilizers are European and from what I've found so far, this place is the only shop that carries them (they're in Oregon). That article gives you a great idea of how to figure how what wattage you need and how to arrive at the desired GPH you need for each Stage of sterilization.

This is the TMC line of sterilizers: tmc uv sterilizer Towards the bottom, their TMC 110 Watt Professional Large Pond/Aquarium UV Sterilizer/Clarifier- $399.99 looks like it might suit you?

Also, Buying a pump where you know the exact GPH , prefilter it, is ideal of course. Then you will know exactly what you're pushing through the system. Also what you can do if you did want to use a cansiter filter is just run the canister and time how much water it passed in a minute then x by 60 to get the actual GPH of your filter. That's what I did. My Rena XP3 will give stage 2 sterilization with all the media it has in it, coupled with the v2 600

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Could always find one to just have sit in the sump I imagine, or place in outflow pipe from main tank?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
AAP -- yep, that's what I was reading while you posted. Ugly website, but great information. I think I"m gonna call these guys and see what they have to say. I'd LOVE to have one that would just lay inside my sump, but that may be too much to hope.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Contact Kendragon. UV genius. He can help explain them better and get an idea if/what works. I was more confused after reading into them then I was before I started. Ken was very helpful in setting me straight and helping me with questions - truly priceless help.

I run a pair of the TMC 110s on my big tank. I'm using a Dart pump on each UV. Think about flowrate for a minute though.... Remember faster happens more often so don't get too hung up on flow rates, cause they mean very little when looking at the overall picture of sterilization.

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
I was gonna say to search for the posts made by Ken but MFK search keeps bunking up.. I tried contacting Ken but never got a reply. Carl and Steven explained things perfectly for me fwiw. I did read a lot of Ken's older posts by abusing google search and using MFK website as a parameters so it gave me a baseline for what to look for. Like DB said, try to get in touch with Ken, but if that fails, the dudes at AAP will be able to help you figure out your math as well.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Here's a definitive article on UV sterilization.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

This chart is extremely helpful:
]

Most people go for Level One Sterilization. The faster the flow rate, the more wattage you will need. Following the chart, for minimal UV wattage, you need a turnover rate of 1.5 times per hour. This equates to a flow rate of 810 gph. In this case a 40W UV sterilizer would do the trick if you use the 20gph/W

In you case, if you insist on plumbing the UV sterilizer to the return from the Laguna 2400, assuming with head loss you have a flow rate of 2,000 gph:
2,000 gph divided by 20 gph/W = 100 Watts. (If you use the 30 gph/W it would be 67W) So an 80W UV sterilizer would work using your Laguna 2400 pump. If you went for Level Two Sterilization at this flowrate, divide it by 8 gph/W = 250W. UV sterilizers usually come in 40W increments.

If you are going to get a UV sterilizer, you want it to be effective, so you'll have to match the wattage with the flow rate you plan to use. Here's the stats for one 80W UV sterilizer maximum flow rate up to 3,000 gph. You have to click on the 80W model.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard...ers-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB5171-FIUVUUET-vi.html

I like lifegard Aquatics UV sterilizers, but they are tall, and would not fit under most stands if they are kept in an upright position. It's kind of like a puzzle to match pump/filter with UV sterilizer, but it can be done. We are running a 40W UV sterilizer with an FX-5 on our 300 gallon tank. I've chosen 120W UVs to run with Barracuda Gold pumps/Ultima II 4000s on the big system which we haven't set up yet. It's a good feeling when you find stuff with recommended flow rates that match up.

Ryan_R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
Athens, OH USA
The flow rates needed should be set by the manufacturer.... a general rule doesn't really cut it. I've had seemingly good luck with my TurboTwists, though some folks say they're not as efficient as newer models. I can't contest that.

Putting the UV on the return from a canister is a good idea as the water will be as clear as possible.

I'd love to get some flow meters on my equipment.

-Ryan

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
The OP has to start somewhere. The Turbo-twist 36W UV can work on tanks up to 500 gallons with flow rates between 400 - 1200 gph. That obviously will not work with his 675 gallon system using a flow rate of 2400 gph. The effectiveness of a UV sterilizer has everything to do with the turnover rate, the flow rate and the wattage. It shouldn't be a guessing game or luck choosing a UV sterilizer.

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
The OP has to start somewhere. The Turbo-twist 36W UV can work on tanks up to 500 gallons with flow rates between 400 - 1200 gph. That obviously will not work with his 675 gallon system using a flow rate of 2400 gph. The effectiveness of a UV sterilizer has everything to do with the turnover rate, the flow rate and the wattage. It shouldn't be a guessing game or luck choosing a UV sterilizer.
The turbo twist can work on his tank he just has to hook it up to lower flowing pump. Just hook a slower rated cannister filter on your tank/ sump and put the UV in line on the return. Like a Rena xp3. It will add a little more bio To your tank as a bonus

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store