Abrasion on the Head

Chen_JunJie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2015
Kaohsiung
My baby aro (4 inches) got spooked and dashed around after I switched of the light yesterday night. I realized there is a patch of abrasion on the head behind the scalp area this morning. I am not too worried about the abrasion, but what worries me is the scalp which is not completely closed yet and still can see red colour cross. I am afraid he will die with head injury as seniors say in the forum. He is eating well so far and the water parameters are good.
I would like to know when the scalp will fully close and how to prevent & cure the abrasion on the head.
I am new and don't have enough post to submit photo yet. Please do advise and thank advanced.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
They heal fast. A week or two. Depends on how bad it is really. Malafix??? Salt??? I use UV sterilization and not many chemicals. Just beware in the future. Arowana and most all silver scale fish spook very easily.

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
I wanted to know whay all arowanas started to jump after lights switched off. My first arowana never jumped at day light. When light switched off... then all started. Are they afraid of dark or something. I'm thinking to add bright blue moon light for night. That might help. I don't know.
I hope wounds will heal soon.

Chen_JunJie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2015
Kaohsiung
@Zeke, Thanks for the advice. He is ok now. Mine is RTG.

@raubiy, I switched 1 dim yellow light on yesterday and he didn't jump the whole night. I think he is afraid of dark.

Crossback James

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I wanted to know whay all arowanas started to jump after lights switched off. My first arowana never jumped at day light. When light switched off... then all started. Are they afraid of dark or something. I'm thinking to add bright blue moon light for night. That might help. I don't know.
I hope wounds will heal soon.
When my XB was about 6 inches, I walked past the tank at night and he shot from one end of the tank to other about 3-4 times, hitting the glass. he dropped his tail and I had to cut it off. It grew back well. Anyway, I fitted a blue light for nights and he's been fine ever since. I've heard many stories of them being jumpy at night, especially when young.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store