Tandanus tandanus - Eel tail Catfish

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Anyone on here have these, or have info on keeping them, or if they are even possible to find? Having trouble finding info...

Here is a pic, (not mine) of the cat I'm talking about:

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I have a Neosilurus ater which is a very close relative. Another Australian Eel Tail cat. I recently got mine but what I understand they can not be imported in to the US any more.

040.JPG041.JPG

040.JPG

041.JPG

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Cool cat!! Do you know why they can no longer be imported? The law changed? Too bad - I think the Tandandus looks like a giraffe cat with a tadpole tail, and colored like a spotted bullhead.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Wes had some Eel tail catfish. Not that species though. Pretty recently. Rare Fish in the vendor section.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Wes had some Eel tail catfish. Not that species though. Pretty recently. Rare Fish in the vendor section.
Very different fish... the one the op and myself are speaking of are Australian peaceful. Wes I looked into is an asian cat.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Australian / Oceania area catfish are becoming increasingly difficult to find in the US. It'd be nice if a vendor got some T. tandanus or a similar species.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Then you'd better work on starting a captive bred generation :D
Haha- I only have one... and have only ever seen another and i think it is the species the op is talking about.

Rokuzachi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2013
Oregon
I've been looking for any of the aussie eeltails in the US for years now. Hard to find doesn't quite describe it :)

I believe there's still a fish farm over there that can ship them here last I talked with the guy, but the minimum order is something like $3500 because of freight and would get you more fingerlings than you knew what to do with. I suppose if you had enough interested parties, you could all go in on it, but it seems like it'd be a logistical nightmare with that many fish and potential people.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store