Looking for Pump advice and general setup for 240g w/ 70g sump for Freshwater

Stang725

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2015
Austin, Tx
Hi, first post... long time reader. Hope I can get some good advice.

So I picked up a used 240g (8'x2'x'2) that came with a 70g sump that was previously set up for SW. I cleaned everything up and reconfigured the sump (added more baffles) for better flow due to no need for a skimmer. I''m now at the point of needing a return pump. It came with some generic utility pump of questionable quality and so I just plan to use it for water changes and go with a new pump so I don't have to worry as much about pump failure for awhile.

Will be stocked with about 20-25 clown loaches, some plecos, and a couple cichlids (maybe an MBU down the road) coming over from my current 90g set up that is running with an FX-6.

I hear everything from 5x-10x the volume in terms of GPH.. but just curious if anyone has something similar in terms of set up. I would prefer submerged pump, so I can harvest some of the heat from the pump (keep my house cold in winter). 90g is the biggest I have ever ran and I have never ran FW with a sump. I thought about just getting another FX-6 and running 2 w/o the sump, but I like the idea of a sump for hiding heaters and having easier access to the water + I have already have one ready to use.

As it stands now, I have:

Tank with dual back-corner overflows with 1.5" outlets (re-sealing the inner seal with RTV-108 this weekend)
Sump with (I put in a panel to hold dual 4" holes for filter socks)
2x 4' BuildMyLED LEDs

So I still need to buy some stuff. Any recommendations. outside of deco? For the pump, I'm not trying to cut costs... I would rather over-engineer it for better filtration and water movement. I would prefer not take take from my 90g so I have a tank to introduce new loaches for monitoring for ich before I put them with my existing ones in the 240g (so I'm not really sold on the 2x FX6 route. Maybe someone can talk me out of the sump, just don't see many negatives.

I will upload some pics tonight.

Stang725

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2015
Austin, Tx
Forgot to mention, also wanted advice for putting some floating plants in the sump for nitrate removal. What light source would I need and what plants would work best? I heard duck weed or hornwort?

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I love my supreme hy-drive pump. I run the 4800. It's been running for 5 years It's a submersible. I hear some external pumps are more efficient and you could plumb one in being your sump is acrylic

Stang725

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2015
Austin, Tx
I love my supreme hy-drive pump. I run the 4800. It's been running for 5 years It's a submersible. I hear some external pumps are more efficient and you could plumb one in being your sump is acrylic
Do you run it in your 180? or 750? You use as a return only?

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I use a laguna maxflo 2900 on my 235 with 75 sump. I've only had it 16 months but its silent and been perfect to date.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store