Lava Rock

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Hi all :)
I'm using lava rock as a media in my Discus tank and read a few posts mentioning the possibility of the lava rock leaching metals and minerals into my water, possibly effecting the hardness of the water. Should I reconsider lava rock in my tank? Would cintered glass work exactly the same minus the leaching? Thanks again guys.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Hi all :)
I'm using lava rock as a media in my Discus tank and read a few posts mentioning the possibility of the lava rock leaching metals and minerals into my water, possibly effecting the hardness of the water. Should I reconsider lava rock in my tank? Would cintered glass work exactly the same minus the leaching? Thanks again guys.
I have never heard of this. The opinions I hear are they clog often and turn detrimental if ran submerged. In my opinion they are a fantastic media in a wet dry trickle filter.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I've used lava rock as media for over 30 years.

Short video of my bio-fractionator,click to run.
Thanks duanes! Definitely appreciate your response here. That biofractionator looks interesting,
I have never heard of this. The opinions I hear are they clog often and turn detrimental if ran submerged. In my opinion they are a fantastic media in a wet dry trickle filter.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks Luke! Actually I plan to use the lava rock in a similar way to a trickle, a reverse trickle actually :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store