Sulfur smell in tank with sand substrate

cideon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
west texas
So I've got a 65 gal tank which was going to be a growout for my poor Jack Dempsey and Severum, but when I moved to an apt more than a year ago, (and just this fall to a house), I have not been able to bring that and another tank to permit them more room. But I have been changing their water weekly or at least twice a month at my mom's for over a year (and the tank was set up about 1-2 years before that). Granted, some weeks it's 90% if I didn't get to do it the preceding week, and when I do keep on track, I only do 50%-ish. They've been doing OK healthwise, but today's WC brought up a big problem. I had never thought much about stirring the sand substrate, thinking the layer was too small to breed a colony of anaerobic bacteria, but I found out I was wrong. I didn't have the lights on, and was really only paying attention to the water level when I filled it up, but I noticed I'd made a huge mess of cloudy water and I did get the smell of sulfur that is different than the one I get at the beginning of filling when I add my prime. So from what I understand, i need to stir the substrate and do some more water changes. But how to go about it?

I have no temporary tank to move my fish to, so they will have to stay in there no matter what I do. Is it best to just mess up all the sand at once and do another 90-95% change? Or would that be too much of another shock, and should I only do like a quarter of the sand and 90% WC? And then repeat as son as I can? (I want to do SOMETHING today, but I'm going out of town for a few days tomorrow, so I want to make sure they'll be OK without me being able to do an emergency change tomorrow, ya know?)

EDIT: Forgot to mention I can't check my parameters if you all need those because I have left my testers packed in some box somewhere for now :<

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Does sound like hydrogen sulfide pockets.
Vacuuming the sand when doing a water changes usually prevents this.
And/or keeping MTS snails, helps prevent the sand to compacting, and they also constantly breakdown the debris that can rot and turn to the H2S.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; During a series of water changes the sand can be siphoned out with the water thru a hose. If you do not have rooted plants( probably not with a jack dempsy and a severum) the tank can be emptied of sand after a few water changes.

If you do not wish to have the tank in various stages of less and less sand, then a clean amount of sand can be kept to replaced that siphoned during a single water change. Might take a while longer this way.

I agree with the MTS (snails) and have them in most tanks.

cideon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
west texas
I was thinking of getting some for this tank later and a future tank to prevent the problem. But what should I do today? Little sand movement or all of it? I would think what wasn't disturbed earlier is safe not being moved (so just do a little tonight and each weekly WC), but I'm not sure if maybe it's leaching small bits of the toxic gases if I leave it be?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When vacuuming you don't need to remove the sand, the H2S will bubble up the vacuum tube as you disturb it.
When I vacuum, the sand gets sucked maybe 1/3 or half way up the tube, then falls back by gravity while smaller, lighter organic particles are removed with the old water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store