Uncles cleaning up 80 gallon tank finally

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
So now that my aunts out of the hospital my uncle has stopped visiting her now that she is back and now he can start cleaning the tank up. Only problem is that he has a new job where he works for quite awhile in the morning so he that cuts back on time for cleaning up the aquarium. Once I get it im thinking of keeping a jack dempsey in it for awhile and then if I upgrade the tank I will use the 80 gallon aquarium as a marbled crawfish tank for feeders and tank cleaning. Also once me and my dad finish up the garage and turn it into a fish room than I can get this sweet used 275 gallon acrylic tank to upgrade the jack dempsey to in a few years hopefully ill get a good sized tank so the jack dempsey can have some tankmates the tankmates I was thinking of keeping with it would be a sun catfish,ornate pimelodus catfish,horsehead pimeloidid catfish,ornate bichir,yellow bullhead catfish, giant bumblebee catfish/pseudopimelodus bufonius and jack dempsey. I would add the jack dempsey last. But do you guys think the jack dempsey would be best for the 80 gallon tank to start out with or would the other fish I listed above be better. Also my uncle just found he has an extra 20 gallon and 50 gallon aquarium that he will be cleaning up. So just letting you guys know he's cleaning up the tanks and will be getting it ready for me I will put it or them either in my bedroom or living room so thats it for now and hopefully everything will work out if not I will learn from it.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I already heard your story few times and I wonder can you do thing on your own? Why do you have to wait for someone else? I'm not talking about your theory fishes compatibility over again cause i'm sick of you keep asking and NOT LEARNING. When you actually have a tank up and cycled it then come here and we can talk...

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
So now that my aunts out of the hospital my uncle has stopped visiting her now that she is back and now he can start cleaning the tank up. Only problem is that he has a new job where he works for quite awhile in the morning so he that cuts back on time for cleaning up the aquarium. Once I get it im thinking of keeping a jack dempsey in it for awhile and then if I upgrade the tank I will use the 80 gallon aquarium as a marbled crawfish tank for feeders and tank cleaning. Also once me and my dad finish up the garage and turn it into a fish room than I can get this sweet used 275 gallon acrylic tank to upgrade the jack dempsey to in a few years hopefully ill get a good sized tank so the jack dempsey can have some tankmates the tankmates I was thinking of keeping with it would be a sun catfish,ornate pimelodus catfish,horsehead pimeloidid catfish,ornate bichir,yellow bullhead catfish, giant bumblebee catfish/pseudopimelodus bufonius and jack dempsey. I would add the jack dempsey last. But do you guys think the jack dempsey would be best for the 80 gallon tank to start out with or would the other fish I listed above be better. Also my uncle just found he has an extra 20 gallon and 50 gallon aquarium that he will be cleaning up. So just letting you guys know he's cleaning up the tanks and will be getting it ready for me I will put it or them either in my bedroom or living room so thats it for now and hopefully everything will work out if not I will learn from it.
You know, sometimes you have to start from where you want to be. And you Captain S, you want to be a big time monster fishkeeper. My advice is, turn those first three tanks into straight up feeder breeders. Goldfish in the 80, rosies in the 50 and guppies in the 20.

When you are at a point where you can provide a large, regular and steady supply of quality live feeders, start building your serious tank, the one you really want. Your dad and you sound handy enough to set up a 800-1200 gallon plywood tank for your future monsters, after you have secured their food source.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Thanks Oscarum monstruoso that was some really good advice.
Thanks, you can get started with the goldfish right away, you can start them off in a plastic tote or tub with a sponge filter. Pick out a dozen of the strongest swimming goldfish at your lfs, by the time your 80 gallon is set up you'll have a nice stock to start with.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Ya I will do that Oscarum monstruoso I will keep that in mind and do that when im ready.
You are ready CaptainS, the time is now. Get a 45 gallon tote from walmart, tyheyre $7.99, a sponge filter for $9.99 and a couple breeder goldfish, you could haver the whole setup running by this evening.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store