Trying to decide between fire eel or tire track.

L98Z28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2013
PA
Both are great eels personally I like the fire eel better. More color where as the tire track eel is a bit bland. I had both and I love my fire eel.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Tire tracks can and do get just as big. Not sure why everyone things that only fire eels get big. I like the color on fire eels the best but also most people have an easier time getting tire tracks to eat. I have gone through a few fire eels before I found one willing to eat well. He is small only about 8 inches but should grow quickly with all his food intake. Eels yes get big but they also like tight spaces a lot of the time. So even if it's big it does not mean it really needs a huge tank. This does not mean your going to have the best of luck with one in a 55 gallon for life but still they will take a long while to grow and get really big. For best luck they also need a cave to live in growing out. Mine uses a pleco breeding log. You can look at mine and follow my progress in the eel area I have a thread.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
If they are at a LFS I would make the clerk feed them and get the one that eats.

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I've never seen a tyre track that has the same girth as a fire eel, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough. If you assume the specs are the same the fire eel looks nicer imo.

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
i own a tire track and i love him and actually both of them grow the same size i think that fire eels grow faster though but the tire track is easier to get feeding out of any eel out their in my opinion.

Lrry93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
I get around
I have only seen one tire track reach the size of a fire eel. Not saying they cant but it is more rare to see.

biggfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
MO
The tire tracks I've had seemed more aggressive. I definitely like the look of the fire eel better. For the most part, they are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store