Possible herps for Sev tank?

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
I'm planning on setting up a 220 gallon tank with severums, a convict, a blood parrot, honduran red points, nanoluteus, geos, rainbow cichlids, a flag cichlid, a sajica, and a chocolate.
I was curious if there were any small turtles I could keep with these guys, or even amphibians (African clawed frog, axolotl, etc)?

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
I'm planning on setting up a 220 gallon tank with severums, a convict, a blood parrot, honduran red points, nanoluteus, geos, rainbow cichlids, a flag cichlid, a sajica, and a chocolate.
I was curious if there were any small turtles I could keep with these guys, or even amphibians (African clawed frog, axolotl, etc)?
How many tanks are you planning? You can go with that turtle sticky we have at the top of the forum.

Amphibians no good, if I'm assuming correctly that the cichlids are fairly aggressive. No caudata (salamanders, newts, axolotls) because the temperature range is completely out of sync.

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
How many tanks are you planning? You can go with that turtle sticky we have at the top of the forum.

Amphibians no good, if I'm assuming correctly that the cichlids are fairly aggressive. No caudata (salamanders, newts, axolotls) because the temperature range is completely out of sync.
I've just been brainstorming a lot of tank ideas lately, lol. I just got my hands on an old 220 gallon tank and I've decided to use it for the sevs and other cichlids. I'll probably go with a pair of mud turtles but I've kept large African clawed frogs with a few baby oscars, a clown knife, and a tiger shovelnose catfish so maybe that would work. Not with the turtles, though, when I was little I put a clawed frog with the baby turtles I caught and he was quickly eaten...

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
Oh I see. Don't take my word for certain but I see the possibility of injury with amphibians because they tend to be without any source of protection in the sense that they don't have scales. It seems to me to be quite shocking that you were able to keep ACFs with large predatory fish and come out fine, but well it's been done.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
Oh I see. Don't take my word for certain but I see the possibility of injury with amphibians because they tend to be without any source of protection in the sense that they don't have scales. It seems to me to be quite shocking that you were able to keep ACFs with large predatory fish and come out fine, but well it's been done.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yeah, the acf was really big and the fish were only medium-sized, not sure if that's a factor. I found that the frog was usually just swimming along the bottom, so that's why the oscars left him alone. My clown knife was always hiding, even at night (I was told that they were nocturnal), and my tsc just sat in the corner of the tank all day.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Yea it's definitely hit or miss. Hypothetically a large ACF could coexist with some more peaceful cichlids, but those frog toes will be snacks to anything nippy.

Since you're looking at mostly SA cichlids maybe look into a Suriname toad, something a little different but also large and fully aquatic.

That's going to be some serious depth for mud or must turtles to cope with.

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
I like the idea of suriname with SA cichlids too. Not sure on whether or not they're easy to maintain in captivity though, it is likely that they will be susceptible to diseases that other frogs won't be.

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
I like the idea of suriname with SA cichlids too. Not sure on whether or not they're easy to maintain in captivity though, it is likely that they will be susceptible to diseases that other frogs won't be.
I'll do more research on the suriname but I think I'll probably end up trying map turtles or painteds, I think CTU is right that the water might be a bit too deep for the muds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store