FX6 + media

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
My 125g has 2 XP3's + ac110 on it currently. I'm looking at moving an xp3 or the ac110 off it for a new 75g side project and have ordered an fx6 to be here friday. I've got 500ml of purigen + 4Liter of pond matrix as well. How much media will the fx6 be able to hold as far as the extra stuff goes? I got 2 of the seachem bags as well to split the purigen between.

Odstar

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
North Hollywood
I have a FX5 with 1 liter of Matrix which filled a tray and a quarter of a tray. I think 4 liter is more the enough for your FX6

Stang725

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2015
Austin, Tx
I have two seachem bags filled with 250ml of purigen per... I would say that tray is only 40-50% full. I'm really looking for a bag that is circular and not square/rectangle like the bags I have now. They are nice bags so don't be me wrong, but would be nice to have a monster circular bag that could hold 1L of purigen (like the shape of a marble bag). I can see my stuff not really getting good flow because the water will be able to channel around the bags in that big of a basket. I was thinking about putting a blank in there of sorts that would restrict the flow a tad and better force it through the purigen bags in a more dispersed manner (something like a little tire/donut made of polystyrene or something to leave only a center ring to stuff the bags into).

Bottom: 2-3x Purigen bags (could add 1x carbon or other as needed)
Middle: Bio balls with a FX Fine Filter Pad on top (Blue)
Top: Fluval Ceramic media with Black Bio Foam filter that comes with FX6 on top

Really the beads should be on top of the filter pad... but that's to much work. I would prob put bio balls on top with the black filter on top of that.

Search amazon for the big off-brand filter packs that have a lot of reviews. Can't go wrong because it costs next to nothing to cycle the fliters out in series so you always leave some media in there to replenish your biofiltering. The filter media on the outside filters is pretty decent in terms of bio... you will see that if you replace all at once with new.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
My 125g has 2 XP3's + ac110 on it currently. I'm looking at moving an xp3 or the ac110 off it for a new 75g side project and have ordered an fx6 to be here friday. I've got 500ml of purigen + 4Liter of pond matrix as well. How much media will the fx6 be able to hold as far as the extra stuff goes? I got 2 of the seachem bags as well to split the purigen between.
Your better off putting the purigen in the ac110. The fx wouldnt need maintenance as much as the purigen will need recharging. My purigen doesnt last longer than maybe 2 or 3 months. Plus you will have to open the can to get it out, then reopen it when its done recharging. Too much of a headache i found it works perfect in the ac

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Teq i have a fx6 and had all 3 media trays full of bio when i switched it out to a 2262 i was able to fit all the bio from the fx6 plus 4 additional liter of matrix.

Are you using the pads in the media trays ?

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
I used the 3 pads it came with. The 2 in the top basket and the one in the bottom basket. I filled the middle and bottom with pond matrix. I managed to slide the purigen bags between the 2 pads in the top basket. The pond matrix is large stuff, not like matrix. You used pond?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I used regular matrix.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014