What do you guys keep with your bichirs?

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
What do you guys keep with your bichirs? i keep a red tail giant gourami with mine. but im kinda bored with my setup. I want to add another active fish or two, but it seems the right combo might be difficult to achieve.

the biggest bichir is a 17 inch ornate. i tried to add a 6 inch cichlid of questionable lineage and the ornate stalked it and snapped at it for about an hour before i decided to remove it. i really thought the cichlid would be too big to eat, but the ornate didnt agree.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
What do you guys keep with your bichirs? i keep a red tail giant gourami with mine. but im kinda bored with my setup. I want to add another active fish or two, but it seems the right combo might be difficult to achieve.

the biggest bichir is a 17 inch ornate. i tried to add a 6 inch cichlid of questionable lineage and the ornate stalked it and snapped at it for about an hour before i decided to remove it. i really thought the cichlid would be too big to eat, but the ornate didnt agree.
More Birchers.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Dats, large chiclids, Rays, catfish, and arowannas all work

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
i have the giant gourami already. so that limits me. no jardini with that. true gars are illegal in CA. datnoids would be cool, but i hear they take forever to grow and if i find a large one the prices on those are pretty extreme.

S4Detroit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2015
Detroit,Mi
I have Monoculus Pbass with mine and a few large Cory cats. I even kept a Flowerhorn with them before. You could get some large Tin foil barbs.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
The question is what your giant gourami is willing to tolerate. I had a gray, it got big and messed with everything except bichirs. Than got a true albino gouramy then the same. Once those effers get past 12" they can get mean. Most that is.

So agreed with the "more bichirs" until gourami is no longer the boss. But I see In Your signature that it's humungous and perhaps uber friendly.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
The question is what your red tail giant gourami is willing to tolerate. I had a gray, it got big and messed with everything except bichirs. Than got a true albino gouramy then the same. Once those effers get past 12" they can get mean. Most that is.

So agreed with the "more bichirs" until gourami is no longer the boss
i just tried to add a 6 inch cichlid (flowerhorn hybrid thing,) and after about 10 mins of the gourami following it around, he lost interest. maybe it wouldnt have worked in the long term, but the real prob was the ornate trying to eat the cichlid. i think the cichlid was small enough the gourami didnt consider it a threat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store