Sump & Overflow Questions

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I am in process of researching a custom tank. The size of the tank will range from 240-350g depending on price. I am aiming at the following 3 options:
1) 8ft x 2ft x 2ft
2) 8ft x 2.5ft (w) x 2ft
3) 8ft x 3ft (w) x 2ft

I am trying to figure out how I want the tank drilled. I think I want to do dual herbies but have the following questions:
1) What size holes should be drilled? 1.5in for main drains and 1in for backup drains is what I was thinking. I want high flow as I want to avoid powerheads in the main tank. Not sure if this can be achieved. The tank is going to have piranha which typically need high flow, but not something insane like GATF.
2) I understand I will have the 4 drain holes, but where is the return pipe? Does that normally output to the main part of the tank or instead a overflow box? I just cant visual this.
3) Does it make sense to get rid of the overflow box and do rear mounted bulkheads? Can I do this with a herbie system or do I need to go an alternate path? If I do rear mounted I might have to drop the width of the tank from 3ft to 2.5ft.
4) Does the shape and location of the overflow boxes matter? I am thinking going with the below tank from fishtanksdirect. You will see the two options for overflow boxes. Is one better than the other? Should I ask them to move away from the corners? I would think the corner ones are the better ones.
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/350GallonRectangularAcrylicAquarium96x36x24.aspx
5) Any suggestions on sump containers? I was going to use my current 75g tank but think I will just spend the $80 to buy a 100g horse trough. It won't be glass but they are cheap, durable and I can go larger.

Thanks for any advice.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The amount and size over overflows are determined by size of pump you intend to use.
If you use 500 gal pump or 3000gph pump, this will a determiner how large your overflows should be.
Although I like 1.5", because it is less easy to plug up.
I drill all tanks to fit 1.5"PVC, be they 20 (1 overflow)gal or 100s of gallons (multiple overflows), and drill on one end so I can have the water enter in on the other.
I like a large turnover rate and high flow, because I keep mostly riverine fish, and want the tank to operate like a flowing river. below is a 45 gal flowing into 20 gal which ends up in a 75 gal sump, overflows are drilled 1.5" PVC. Water enters left and out the out right.

The above tanks are connected to the line below, you can see another 55 gal, also drilled for 1.5" PVC flowing to the same drain line.

All tanks then connect to a main 2" line which flows to the 75gal sump.
And an overflow is not that hard to plug up. Plants, dead fish all can contribute.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I have never done a sump before so it is hard for me to figure this out. I am used to aiming for about 10x turnover for the tank because I used cannisters and HOB. Right now I have a 75g w/FX5 plus a hydro 1400. Does it sound crazy to be doing 3500 gph on a 350g tank and will 1.5in holes support that? I also need to look into the cost of a pump to push that much water.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I don't think 3500gph on a 350gal tank is crazy.
I have 2400gph pumps on 150 gal tanks for rheophillic (strong flow loving) fish.
I think you may need more than a single 1.5 PVC outflow to be safe.
I'd drill the tank for at least 2 bulkheads (maybe 3)on the outflow end of the tank, the tank is plenty large enough.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
The return lines will each come up thru the overflow usually. So you would have 2 bulkheads in each overflow. One for drain one for return. I like trapazoids better I just think they look better and blend in better especially if you have a black background. If I was to do it again though and the rear of tank space wasn't an issue, I would do coast to coast style overflow. Across the whole back.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
You will want holes that will fit 1.5" piping. For example, my holes are drilled at 1.75". Once the bulkhead is in, this reduces it to 1" slip piping, sure threaded would be the same thing. My 1.5" holes support 0.75" piping. That's a 0.75" reduction both times. If we were to follow the pattern, a 1.5" bulkhead would require a 2.25" hole. However, maybe when they get larger there is a different dimension of hole needed to accommodate the bulkhead. I would look up purchasing a 1.5" bulkhead and see what hole size they require, or maybe someone else can comment here. I would go with 2 overflows. My 400 has 2 corner overflows, i believe they are 1.5" bulkheads but i never measured them or took them apart, but it handles 3600 gph at 6' head no problem as long as the drain piping is 1.5".
Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
You will want holes that will fit 1.5" piping. For example, my holes are drilled at 1.75". Once the bulkhead is in, this reduces it to 1" slip piping, sure threaded would be the same thing. My 1.5" holes support 0.75" piping. That's a 0.75" reduction both times. If we were to follow the pattern, a 1.5" bulkhead would require a 2.25" hole. However, maybe when they get larger there is a different dimension of hole needed to accommodate the bulkhead. I would look up purchasing a 1.5" bulkhead and see what hole size they require, or maybe someone else can comment here. I would go with 2 overflows. My 400 has 2 corner overflows, i believe they are 1.5" bulkheads but i never measured them or took them apart, but it handles 3600 gph at 6' head no problem as long as the drain piping is 1.5".
Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I just drilled for 1 1/2" bulkheads last night. They require a 2 3/8" hole saw.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
jsodwi - I wanted to do a herbie style overflow so I was thinking of doing 2 drains in each box, which means there will be 3 drilled holes per box. I have heard the coast to coast comment and will look into the price. In that case, all I would do is still have 6 drilled holes, but they will be spread out across the tank instead.

When doing the returns for such a large tank, I am assuming that I should have 2 returns? Is it better to have 1 return per box or both returns in the same box?

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
The return lines will each come up thru the overflow usually. So you would have 2 bulkheads in each overflow. One for drain one for return. I like trapazoids better I just think they look better and blend in better especially if you have a black background. If I was to do it again though and the rear of tank space wasn't an issue, I would do coast to coast style overflow. Across the whole back.
I basically have this but on 1 side with the return on the opposite end and love it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store