Anyone keep their tortoises outside?

Mike D

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Spencer,Ma
Morning all,

Does anyone here keep their tortoises outside? Either year round only during the summer?

If so what does your outdoor enclosure look like?

I have 2 redfoots that I want to start keeping outdoor only during the day and will be inside at night. But I'm looking for some ideas on how other people keep there's. I live in central ma so the weather is slowly warming up and I'm getting the itch to build something and this keeps popping into my mind. I think I want it raised off of the ground(neighbor feeds the stray cats) while I know having it raised won't fully stop the cats from investigating I'm hoping it deters them. They will also be kept close to the house as another cat defense.

Just looking for some ideas and some the downsides of keeping outside. The benefits of keeping outdoors are to great to not explore it since I now own my own house and it's an option. I'm also looking into keeping my large male iguana outside during the day as well(that enclosure would have to be more elaborate and more research needs to be done)

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Have a greek outside in Summer. Pen is just about 20' by 8' of low fencing. I do have a dog though, if I didn't I would probably put a net over the top to fend off cats and crows.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I have a pair of sulcuttas, they live outside year round and have free run of the yard. Granted I'm in socal so it's never to cold for to long, although I did get snow this winter.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I have a 6 year old male Sulcata that I keep outdoors when the weather is nice. I live in southern Pennsylvania so I do have to bring him indoors in the winter where he stays in a tortoise table in my basement but I do allow him to roam loose in my house almost every day for several hours. In the summer I have a mobile 10'x10' pen he's in with a dog house for shelter. I do plan on building him a large, permanent outdoor pen, hopefully this summer.

Tortoise.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Tortoise table?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was thinking it was something along those lines.I'd like to have a sulcatta some day but it may one day get too big and heavy for me too be able to transport it due to the weather.

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
My redfoot has a corner of my closet that's "hers" with a heat pad that a blocked off at first but now she has free run of the house. On days when its nice out I'll bring her outside for a few hours to graze and get some sun. At my old house I'd put her on my back deck on summer days unsupervised once she was around 8" or so, any smaller than that and I would worry about raptors too much

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store