internal filtration alone

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
So I love internals and run multiples in most of my tanks, it means redundancy should I have failures which I have had with externals in the past, also I run air stones etc in the tanks. anyway I cant help but think that the lack of media ( just have sponge in them at the moment) is a down fall so question is, can I replace the sponges with media in some of the baskets or am I concerned about nothing, or should I add other filtration with media in it??

i know people just use foam filters and I'm using these is my fry tanks, which work in a similar way.

BTW all fish are healthy and water equality is spot on but just a burning feeling lol.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
You could make yourself one of these if your already running air stones mate uploadfromtaptalk1426278348554.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426278358705.jpg
Pretty simple to make , coke bottle , k1 , air line , sponge filter
I use it for a bit of extra bio in my tank :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
they are nice may upgrade to one.

mine has several baskets, may just replace one or two of the sponges and stick some k1 in there or ceramic media and see how its goes

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
hahaha like that, i have this in my fry tank

i did build a 3ltr one for my 180 gallon im going to fill with K1 but need a better pump the one i have just doesn't have the power for it. I like the movement of the k1.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Haha hes on it ;):) im using a double tetra one it seems to do OK with a 1.75 coke bottle and 1lt of k1

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
i might try swapping some pumps around and see if one of my others has the guts or ill get on and order one on pay day I'm not in a rush but just like the extra lol. where are you buying the K1 from? locally its about £25 for 5 ltrs.

i think the clear bottles actually look quite cool with the k1 moving around. i had major issues in my fry tank but that little ice tea bottle seems to have done the trick so keen to do something with the bigger tanks.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I got my k1 from world of water mate , not sure how close the nearest one to you is :confused: , its not cheap though from what I can remember , maybe e bay or Amazon for bargains

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I got my k1 from world of water mate , not sure how close the nearest one to you is :confused: , its not cheap though from what I can remember , maybe e bay or Amazon for bargains

Great Evz! I just put one in my tank also except I used a PEPSI bottle ;D I used lava rock though, not sure if it will work as well as k1. I used lava rock cause I have some laying around and really wanted to quiet down the popping of large bubbles. It did quiet down some, and changed the sound to a much more soothing flowing sound which I really like, it went from sounding like the LFS, to a babbling brook :D
We'll see see how it works as its literally days old.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
There's quite a few videos on YouTube with lava rock ones mate it'll work :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store