Overflow box or?

thomeski

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
Butler NJ
Hi i bought a used 125 gallon and im wondering what would be the best way to get water into the sump. I dont think i want to drill the tank. I was looking at overflow boxes but im not sure, is there any thing better?

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Overflow box or a diy overflow with pvc pipe thats your 2 options if you dont want to drill. I would go full siphon, alot quieter then overflow box or diy. Drilling a tank is not hard patients and lots of water and cheap if you are capable of a diy project

Ian14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Baltimore
I messed around with the diy overflows and i did not like them. Too much risk for me because all that is keeping the flow going is a siphon. I tried drilling a 20 gallon for the first time and it was really easy, although I would be nervous about doing a 125. You could check around your LFS and see if they could drill it for you. It would be ideal to have it drilled

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have both overflow boxes, and drilled tanks.
My plan is to, at some future point, drill all tanks.
As stated above, drilling is amazingly easy, and the potential problems of overflow boxes compared to the simplicity of a drilled tank far out way anything I can think of.

thomeski

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
Butler NJ
Thats what i thought as far as the aswers goes lol. Im gonna talk to friend of mine about driling the tank( glass guy). Now what type of over flow? I have a 90 gallon reef ready and its loud. Herbie or bean animal? Positioning the over flow centraly or on sides? Help me out. I want to get every thing ready within a week so i can switch the tank and a stock, btw have a 90 reef ready for sale if any body is interested, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store