smelly fish tank

dakota954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
United States
I have a 150 gallon fish tank and recently the smell coming from it has been awful. There isn't anything dead in it, the water parameters are excellent yet it still has a bad smell and I don't know why. Any ideas on how I can remedy this? I gravel vac every week

dakota954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
United States
I use prime water conditioner which smells like rotten eggs u don't think that such small amounts in the tank would cause this smell though and yes I'm sure it's the tank that smells if I open the lid it hits you right in the nose. I don't have any overflows

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I use prime and my tank doesn't stink.

What does it smell like? You're absolutely positive nothing is dead in there? Maybe you missed places when gravel vacuuming and food is rotting. I'd tear up decorations and figure out what it is, the tank won't just smell bad for no reason.

You could try carbon in your filter but that's just a bandaid, not a solution.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
What are you using to test the water and what are the parameters?

Edit: also, have you checked your filters, intakes, chambers, you could have something lodged somewhere. What do you feed, and whats the stock?

dakota954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
United States
I use prime water conditioner which smells like rotten eggs u don't think that such small amounts in the tank would cause this smell though and yes I'm sure it's the tank that smells if I open the lid it hits you right in the nose. I don't have any overflows

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Check your ornaments, I removed a plastic rock thing from my old tank and it smelled god awful; water params were fine

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dakota954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
United States
Sorry didn't mean to double post my phone screwed up. I use test strip to test water parameters I'm actually getting a better test kit tonight though as the strips are kind of hard to read. I moved all the decorations the last time that I cleaned the tank and vacuumed under them all. I can't really describe the smell it kinda smells fishy kinda smells like sewage for lack of a better term. I'll have to give it a really thorough cleaning some time soon I'm just afraid to clean too much and remove too much bacteria

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store