Freshwater Red Drum?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Was looking at videos of Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops in-store aquariums earlier and saw a couple of healthy, adult red drum in a large freshwater tank with hybrid stripers, channel cats, and LMBs. After that I looked it up online and found multiple accounts of (landlocked, freshwater) lakes in texas that have healthy populations of red drum living in them. So can this species, which is normally a saltwater and brackish water native, thrive through adulthood in full freshwater? If so, I'd love to keep one with some other big natives sometime.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Sciaenops ocellatus are listed as demersal (occurring at or near the bottom) and oceanodramous (ocean migratory). But, if you chance getting one that occurs in the alkaline FWs of Texas then, go for it. I would imagine pristine conditions and high turn-over rates apply when keeping this primarily marine species under freshwater conditions.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
I've caught them in pure fresh next to lmb and pickerel here in Florida. However they were just up rivers and could return to salt. Maybe it's because I've seen them so much but I thi.k they'd be boring. I've also caught juvenile mangrove snapper in fw but I don't think they'd fair well long term. On the opposite end, I've seen long nose gar 40 miles from the nearest source of fw in the Gulf!

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
^Mangrove snappers are actually stocked into freshwater lakes in Australia and kept often in FW fish tanks (User Greenterra" has a mangrove snapper that is easily one of the nicest fish I have seen)

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
^Mangrove snappers are actually stocked into freshwater lakes in Australia and kept often in FW fish tanks (User Greenterra" has a mangrove snapper that is easily one of the nicest fish I have seen)
I'm certain they are a different species....just same common name.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
I've caught red drum in almost fresh-brackish water in Florida with a hand line (forgot a pole and still wanted to go fishing so I held the line in my hands) one was 16 inches really powerful fish I was using a hand line. I think they'd be fun to keep in a aquarium but they're very powerful swimmers caught some more in full marine and seeing them swim at night they're really powerful swimmers they'll need a large tank.
The snappers in Australia are a different species than the one found here. They're def a cool fish though but supposedly aggressive. JD7 ever keep any "marine fish" in fw? Would be cool since you have access to all these fish. What would be a sight would be cobia in fw tho haha

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Are you sure...they look different to me....oddball

As for me, when I'm on the water it's usually because I have clients to make happy so I don't have time to go collecting. I did catch a small octopus once and had him about 6 months. He was wicked cool!

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Red drum are stocked in landlocked lakes but they do not reproduce in full freshwater. However I think they're too big for aquariums.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store