Breeding Garra rufa

eldcarolino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2015
philippines
New to the forums. I have a 100 garra rufa in a 150 gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump/refugium with ATS. HAs anyone here tried to breed them? I couldn't even make them spawn. My water parameters are all perfect except for my nitrates 80-100ppm in which i can't seem to lower down. I already have ATS, plants and alot of pothos. Anyone here who has experienced breeding them?:)

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Hard to get any species of fish to breed with nitrates that high. I would focus on lowering them(water changes, increased filtration, chemically, etc.)

eldcarolino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2015
philippines
how do you lower the nitrates chemically? im skeptical when it comes to resins and adsorbents. I do water change everyday to almost 90% without burting my BB but my nitrates are still high. The lowest That I had was 40ppm the most. Then the day after it then goes back up to a 100ppm. Im so lost as to what to do. Increasing the aquarium size is not an option:nilly:

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
It is surprising with sump filtration w/ATS and pothos that your nitrates would be that high. Maybe your test kit is off. How often do you feed and what kind of food?

eldcarolino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2015
philippines
had two master API test kits both had same result. Also used it in other tanks and shows lower nitrates. Tap water result is 0ppm nitrates. I feed them twice a day maybe about 5-10 pinches of PO2, algae wafers and serra flakes. (cycle) My bad but my tanks are not in gallons but rather liters. 225 liters combined

NorCal

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2015
Marina, CA
In regards to the lowering Nitrates, I was recommended a filtration pad that you cut to size (of filter) and it literally the next day knocked my Nitrates to 0ppm. Did partial wc a week later checked my parameters a couple days later 0 amonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrates. So the pad difinatley made a difference. Worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I favor denitrification reactors to plants. They process a hell of a lot more nitrate and don't require any chemicals. Maybe a carbon source if your bioavailable DOC is insufficient to denitrify. What substrate are you using and how much of it?

eldcarolino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2015
philippines
What is DOC? I have a bare tank. No substrates whatsoever, so that the power head can filter out all the debris. Already have 5 layers of those nitrate pads on my DIY wet/dry trickle filter. They don't seem to work. They are only good with ammonia and nitrite. Im thinking of installing a DIY water changer. I bought heaps of pumice stones aka seachem "Matrix". They said it process dentrification. Im also thinking of making a k1 moving filter. xD

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
DOC is "dissolved organic compounds". Denitrifying bacteria live in anoxic parts of your tank, which is why reef keepers often have deep sand beds to keep their nitrates at 0. A denitrification reactor (could use seachem matrix) is a chamber with very low water flow that creates anoxic zones for the bacteria. If you had a few inches of substrate you probably wouldn't have nitrate issues as bad as you do. I keep substrate in all of my 10 tanks and only see nitrate in a couple of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store