Goonch Temperature

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
I have a Bagarius yarrelli 'India' i got from Wes a while ago and I was wondering how hot to keep the tank because i was hearing how when they get large they like cold water. Also i was wondering if they will require a powerhead when they get larger. It is currently 8" and in a 75 gallon rubbermaid tub at 78 degrees fahrenheit. It does not have current but it has a Magnum 350 canister filter going into bioballs and then entering the tank. Thanks!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
May want to ask Wes where it was taken from. They have a wide range in temp where they live. From 60's to low 70's F. I think most owners on here keep it in the 70's.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Depends whether it's the LLG or HLG. HLG requires cold water its entire life and loves strong current but the LLG likes it a tad warmer, in the 70's, with mild flow. I don't remember wes bringing in any LLG's lately so im pretty sure you have an HLG but pics would definitely help.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Wes told me me around 78 degrees and i was just wondering if the care requirements changed as the goonch got older

Heres a pic

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1424638620.360645.jpg

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
You can tell by the shape of the fish that it wants/needs to be in swift water. IMO, the more current, the better.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
The temperature is what wes kept it at and i will try to get a side picture soon, but is hard because i cant see the side because it is in a rubbermaid tub.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
From looking at the roomy best guess is that it's HLG just cuz wes hasn't brought in any LLG's recently. HLG's require the coldest water outta all the goonch species. I keep mine unheated and during the winter it drops down to high 40's and summer to high 70's the higher temps are fine for young ones but unless you can get a whole lot of oxygen in the water, im guessing as it grows you will need to drop the temp a lot in order to keep a high amount of DO for it to be happy and live

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store